The 'BurbBarian' build thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for a guide on maitenance, I would pick up a Haynes manual. They are great source of knowledge when it comes to working on these trucks.
You must be registered for see images attach

While Haynes is decent & pretty much all that's available nowadays, I prefer Chilton's (yes I know that 2 one point they were being made by the same company), I find them to be more informative. Clyne's were even better, but I don't believe they were out business before the GMT400's (yes, I just dated myself). If you can swing the dough, get a set of Helm's (factory style manuals).

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually cannot argue with that idea, I like it, thanks 454cid.

That looks like a clean/solid project. Tough to find them here looking that clean.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i realized i haven't given the full story yet, Back in 2013 we moved to colorado for 3 years, the truck was just sitting rotting away in the snow/other crazy weather so it does have some issues, then October 2016 we moved to southern Utah, in the desert, in the 110* degree heat, and sat for the last 2 years in the desert, so far what i know it needs and what we have already replaced is: (R=Replaced, N=Need to replace), R Fuel pump, R fuel filter, R spark plug wires (yes we made sure we did them correctly), R spark plugs, R windshield wipers, N tires, N windshield, N oil filter i need advice on this we tried to get it off with proper oil filter wrench then screwdriver and it won't budge has massive holes in it now, no clue what to do to get it off, N all fluids changed (already have rear diff and engine oil drained just need to do Trans and TC and front diff) if any one can help with any of these it will be appreciated, including diagrams of how to service them correctly and where to fill and how much to fill each powertrain component, need same type of diagrams for front/rear bushings, and anything i should look out for, Thanks for reading. EDIT: also need wheel/tire recommendations, i would like to run a rally type setup like this:

Don't feel bad, my Trans Am's inspection ran up in 2006. So yeah. I'm thinking about putting here up for sale this spring. In the last 5yrs, I've collected parts, replaced the headliner, dashpad & center console lid. Just can't find the time.

I like the Rally rim look on these trucks

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I dislike black rims, but those black rally rims I do like, but its got to go with a good color choice.

@BlastingBat998, my recommendations for wheels are American Racing Baja's in a 16x8. It is the best rim choice IMHO. Then go with some Cooper Discover AT/3 (really great in the snow!) or Hankook Dyna-Pro tires in a load range E. 265/75r16 if you want to keep mileage good. This is just my $0.02, but I am bias when it comes to the classic 8-hole rims. :lol: My dad and grandpa had them on their trucks when I was younger and always wanted that style of rim.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations guys, i actually really like the ARB's you suggested.

On to the update, I is moving under it's own power again, we ended up cutting off the remains of the oil filter, nothing was damaged, got all the fluids changed except for the radiator, 1st gear is slipping kinda bad (i think it's because we for got to get a new transmission fluid filter so we had to leave that filter in, will get that fixed soon), any suggestions about what else could be causing the slippage?

That's all for now.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations guys, i actually really like the ARB's you suggested.

On to the update, I is moving under it's own power again, we ended up cutting off the remains of the oil filter, nothing was damaged, got all the fluids changed except for the radiator, 1st gear is slipping kinda bad (i think it's because we for got to get a new transmission fluid filter so we had to leave that filter in, will get that fixed soon), any suggestions about what else could be causing the slippage?

That's all for now.

So just to be clear, you changed the transmission fluid but not the filter? If it just started slipping, make sure the fluid level is where it should be. Otherwise, tranny might be on its way out.. What did the fluid look like?

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok to clear up, we unbolted the the drain plug and completely spaced that a transmission fluid filter existed, meaning we didn't undo the 17 bolts holding the pan, and we made sure it was at the correct level, can't recall what it look like but it did smell burnt, 150k miles (in the sweet spot for going out from what I've read) sorry about the confusion.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome! St. George is one of my favorite places, I visit there often. There is a tranny shop up on Sunset Blvd that will hook up to the burb and run a quick diagnostic for free. I can't remember the name, but it's on the south side of the road. Nice guys, they even took mine for a test drive to run pressure tests. If you get to where you need machine work done, Reynolds Machine is who I use for all my engine work. I would definitely get that tranny looked at soon, it may not be too late for it. You should have the 4L80E. That's a tough tranny to break. Mine has 226K and is solid as a rock.

I'm sorry to hear about your family. I wrecked my bike 15 years ago and shouldn't have survived, so I quit riding. I recently lost my dad and inherited his F150, so I get that part of the equation too. I'll keep his truck to putter around in while I build Sanity (my '99 Suburban) into a fun overland rig. There are miles and miles of dirt track and desert roads that lead out of St. George that I plan on exploring. You have a nice ride there. There is plenty that can be done to get more power out of the 454. Unfortunately, there isn't much at all you can do to get more MPG out of it. I get about 12 with mine empty, and 9 with it loaded down. It's just one of those engines with a drinkin' problem, not much you can do about it but enjoy the ride!

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice to see a fellow GMT400 member comes through here, sorry to hear about your dad, and it is the 4L80E, i think i've heard of that shop before my driving instructor recommended it to my class, i took a third party class thats why it was in St George but i actually live in Dixie Springs right next to Sand Hollow state park, my fav are to off road so far is a place called Warner Valley right next to Sand Hollow, i just can't legally drive it right now because it has a MASSIVE crack in the windshield (allowable crack size on a windshield in Utah is 6 inches) and the tags are still expired, has up-to-date insurance though, and ill need to get a set of cheap (possibly used) 265/70/17R in order to drive anywhere.

I'll try to enjoy driving as long as my wallet allows me.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok to clear up, we unbolted the the drain plug and completely spaced that a transmission fluid filter existed, meaning we didn't undo the 17 bolts holding the pan, and we made sure it was at the correct level, can't recall what it look like but it did smell burnt, 150k miles (in the sweet spot for going out from what I've read) sorry about the confusion.

150 is nothing for a 4l80e, even not well taken care of.. hopefully it isn't hurt. Honestly if it is, and you're on a budget, I'd go after a low mileage takeout.

Also for performance a tune is the best bang for the buck, exhaust is also high up there.