The 'BurbBarian' build thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While Haynes is decent & pretty much all that's available nowadays, I prefer Chilton's (yes I know that 2 one point they were being made by the same company), I find them to be more informative. Clyne's were even better, but I don't believe they were out business before the GMT400's (yes, I just dated myself). If you can swing the dough, get a set of Helm's (factory style manuals).

I've got all three, I've got a Haynes I keep in the truck with my scanner, a Chilton with some notes written in it, and two fat GM Tech manuals; I was weary about spending the money on the shop books but damn is it worth it.

150 is nothing for a 4l80e, even not well taken care of.. hopefully it isn't hurt. Honestly if it is, and you're on a budget, I'd go after a low mileage takeout.

Also for performance a tune is the best bang for the buck, exhaust is also high up there.

This, something as simple as a Black Bear tune will surprise you with the difference it makes, I wish I would've just gone with a more aggressive tune when I bought my ECM from them, free retunes for life, all you gotta do is pay shipping and they'll make any changes you want.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok to clear up, we unbolted the the drain plug and completely spaced that a transmission fluid filter existed, meaning we didn't undo the 17 bolts holding the pan, and we made sure it was at the correct level, can't recall what it look like but it did smell burnt, 150k miles (in the sweet spot for going out from what I've read) sorry about the confusion.
I will try to keep this brief.
On transmission I see three possible causes:
1. Low fluid level, transmission needs to be hot to get a good reading. Running the engine does not build heat. Put in first and while holding brake, give it light gas. Do this for 30 seconds at a time over a two to three minute interval. (Don't power brake 2000rpm max). Then check fluid level.
2. Since it has sat, check all electrical connections and apply dielectric grease after cleaning connections.
3. Possible torque converter issue. Did you drain and flush the torque converter.

4l80e transmissions can take some abuse and the mileage is not the issue. The sitting and harden seals would be the bigger issue.

Also; FYI, a proper built and modified 454 or BBC is expensive and requires some love and experience. I suggest keeping it maintained at the moment and gain some knowledge and experience on the repairs of your current setup. Just my advice and opinion.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, we did not flush the torque converter because we didn’t want to take anything else apart just yet, just a little tight on money right now. (still haven’t gone over 60mph) and quick question how do I tell if the torque converter locks up? And it already has a custom exhaust, just needs a tune up. That’s some good info on how to get fluid moving, I did not know that. Thanks for the help so far guys!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 99 (350 w/4l80e) you can tell when the torque convertor locks because it seems like it is going into 5th gear. It only does it after the trans is warmed up. You can watch the tach and see when it locks up. 50 mph is where mine locks up under normal conditions.

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, it has been quite some time since i last updated this thread. not much is new besides picking up a decent used set of Toyo A/T tires i put on. i literally haven driven the thing yet, it's been sitting in my driveway for nearly a full year again however i have been starting it regularly (once or twice a month) to keep things moving. I am running into an issue where the battery keeps dying. it was fresh as of January of last year and I've put it on the charger to keep some life in it but now it won't start at all even with a jump start. I believe there is a grounding issue somewhere.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, it has been quite some time since i last updated this thread. not much is new besides picking up a decent used set of Toyo A/T tires i put on. i literally haven driven the thing yet, it's been sitting in my driveway for nearly a full year again however i have been starting it regularly (once or twice a month) to keep things moving. I am running into an issue where the battery keeps dying. it was fresh as of January of last year and I've put it on the charger to keep some life in it but now it won't start at all even with a jump start. I believe there is a grounding issue somewhere.

Check and clean all the grounds and connections at the starter.

So with a jump it doesnt start? What does it do when you turn the key? Just clicking?

BlastingBat998

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Little bit since I’ve been here. For starters i fixed my no start with a brand new battery, Im just dumb. Second. I picked up some wheels like my profile pic. Almost the same as the one my dad had on it back in 2004. I need to get tires for them as they are 16” x 9” and my current wheels are 17” x 10” still need to polish the other three.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Little bit since I’ve been here. For starters i fixed my no start with a brand new battery, Im just dumb. Second. I picked up some wheels like my profile pic. Almost the same as the one my dad had on it back in 2004. I need to get tires for them as they are 16” x 9” and my current wheels are 17” x 10” still need to polish the other three.
Please send those over to me. :banana-mario: lol, love these AR Nitros.