Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which if I had to guess is 30mph+. I'd be curious to see how much of an actual difference it made at lower speeds if any.
30 seems reasonable.
Since warm air rises it will find the way out of the cowl and draw fresh cooler air in behind it, until the low pressure builds and it starts drawing in through the cowl.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Airflow through the radiator depends on a pressure differential across the front and back. The high pressure in is pretty well fixed unless you add a diesel bumper with its associated duct. Adding a cowl hood increases airflow into the engine bay behind the radiator and thus decreases that pressure differential. Can I quantify the effect of this? Hell no. But I can say no road racing car runs a cowl hood to help with cooling. They use extractor vents either added to an existing hood or molded into an aftermarket one. At the end of the day, the real world effect on cooling could well be squat, but apparently they flowed enough to feed a muscle car's dual quads back in the day. Either way, I like the look and am not opposed to putting them on my trucks.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine that the fan behind the radiator provides the pressure differential, I'm not sure that the cowl hood could allow enough air in to overcome that.
Road racing cars have optimized aeros which would (conceivably anyway) route air around rather than into the engine bay, so the vents would be needed. Street cars (or trucks in this case) have front ends designed for a different purpose. Like you, I got no data to back this up, just my own observations.

I'm with you 100% on the look, they're awesome on so many vehicles.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high pressure in is pretty well fixed unless you add a diesel bumper with its associated duct.

This being a good, or a bad thing? I have a diesel bumper with no ducts. Didn’t know about needing any ducts. (Sorry OP for the thread jack)[/QUOTE]

No apologies necessary! My thread, your thread..... heck, we're all here to ask questions and get stuff figured out, throw ideas back and forth, give ones opinion, help some people, and build some cool ass rides!!!!!