Terrible 8 mpg 1996 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've been running around 10-11mpg in summer 8 in the winter. For the past four years. I have a 97 ecsb with a 5.7, 4l60e push button 4x4 and 3:73 gears on 265/75/16 BFG A/T tires at 35psi. I've been dealing with exhaust issues for the entire time I've had the truck. I don't have the money to fight with it right now. I have to tackle a broken manifold bolt, cracked manifold, and a slew of O2 sensor codes. This summer I should be able to wrestle it back to the 15-16 I should have been seeing but never have.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I've been running around 10-11mpg in summer 8 in the winter. For the past four years. I have a 97 ecsb with a 5.7, 4l60e push button 4x4 and 3:73 gears on 265/75/16 BFG A/T tires at 35psi. I've been dealing with exhaust issues for the entire time I've had the truck. I don't have the money to fight with it right now. I have to tackle a broken manifold bolt, cracked manifold, and a slew of O2 sensor codes. This summer I should be able to wrestle it back to the 15-16 I should have been seeing but never have.

If you are talking about the truck in your build thread, there are a few reasons why it could get that terrible a mileage.

1) Sunvisor... easy - 1mpg
2) Bug deflector and window vent visors - the bug deflector is the real culprit here, the vent visors not so much
3) CB whips and toolbox out in the wind
4) questionable alignment, you mention that you finally got it aligned July 29th 2013 ( which by reading would be a while after trashing a tire and getting hit by a trailer at 80 on the highway )
5) leaking gas tank that you replaced in November 2013

Also, a 'slew' of 02 sensor codes.... :/

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you are talking about the truck in your build thread, there are a few reasons why it could get that terrible a mileage.

1) Sunvisor... easy - 1mpg
2) Bug deflector and window vent visors - the bug deflector is the real culprit here, the vent visors not so much
3) CB whips and toolbox out in the wind
4) questionable alignment, you mention that you finally got it aligned July 29th 2013 ( which by reading would be a while after trashing a tire and getting hit by a trailer at 80 on the highway )
5) leaking gas tank that you replaced in November 2013

Also, a 'slew' of 02 sensor codes.... :/

Didn't notice a huge difference with the moon visor.

Bug shield shattered and has since been removed due to a nice salt hunk from a county plow truck, the vent visors aren't a big problem. These were on the truck when I bought it.

Whips and box didn't change much either. Although I did have to lose my tonneau cover to make room for them.

The alignment actually wasn't very far off. I have it aligned every so often and have it checked every 6 months.

The cracked manifold and shot o2 sensors are most likely the issue here. I would be pleased with even 14mpg. It's a brick of steel and I am sometimes a "spirited" driver. It's Not a Prius. I understand, accept and love that fact. I just know I should be getting more than 10mpg out of a vortec 350. I'm in carb and tbi territory and I have a computer controlled fuel injected motor. :shrug: it's not killing me financially right now so I'm letting it go until I have some other more important commitments taken care of. Like credit cards I don't want eating me alive.