Terrible 8 mpg 1996 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavychevy350

Reaction score
I get 8 mpg in town with my 1996 chevy silverado ext cab 5.7 v8 4x4 just did plugs wires cap and rotor pcv valve cleaned tb and trimmed the lip off the throttle plate blocked off the vortec box and I drive it like a grandpa what's going on? I've searched around the forums and see people getting like 15-16 I'd be happy with like 12 haha any help would be appreciated. -heavychevy

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you have codes for the post cat 02 sensors, it's possible the converters are not functioning / plugged.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have codes for both of my post cat o2 sensors but I didn't think they were fuel related

They have nothing to do with controlling the fuel, however as mentioned the cats could be plugged which can cause poor mileage an cause the codes to set due to reduced exhaust flow....

heavychevy350

Reaction score
There's no performance symtoms of plugged cats and the codes read for high voltage bank 2 sensor 2 and bank 1 sensor 2 no activity

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There are many things that can contribute to low fuel mileage, tire pressure, alignment, plugged air filter, brakes dragging, etc other than just engine issues. Unless you check all of the possible culprits you may be chasing your tail.

If you jack up the truck and paint a line down the center of the front tires, then scribe a line, you can check your toe with a friend and a tape measure. Checking the air pressure won't cost you a dime. I know you say you don't have any symptoms of a plugged cat, but idling around town it may 'run' decently at low RPM. Get it out of town and step it down for a while, if it starts to choke and want to stall, then you may still have a converter issue.

What does your air cleaner restriction gauge show? Do you experience poor starting at all? ( IE: possible poppet issue, dribbling fuel in to the intake )

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I believe the O2 sensor displaying high voltage could cause over fueling, causing a rich condition and diminishing MPG. I would assume the O2 sensor displaying no activity would also send signals to the PCM to alter fuel management, which could also diminish MPG

heavychevy350

Reaction score
Tire pressure is good and my air filter I cleaned and put back in the air gauge says its good I just did the rear wheel cylinder and checked all my brakes nothing seems to be hanging up it starts right up every time no problems