Temp gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, lately my temp gauge has been weird. The last sender that was in, would read way hot, 3-4 marks past 210, then way cold, 3-4marks below 210. I though maybe the t-stat was sticking so I replaced that, but still did the same thing. I recently replaced both the sensor and sender for the gauge. Now, The gauge reads from that thick white bar below 210, all the way to 210, and back down again. It does this several times every mile. I replaced the t-stat with a 195*. Does anyone else's do this, or is the gauge going bad, cause it doesn't seem normal to me. Our 91 K5 blazer (with same engine) warms up, and temp gauge is like a rock, never moves. How do I check the gauge and/or fix it?

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey nice to see another UNIX user on here lol. Honestly, that gauge may be on the way out. My battery voltage gauge did pretty much the exact same thing; swing all around kinda randomly till eventually it stopped working altogether.

First I'd check with some other tool to get the actual water temp.
Then if the temp seems stable (probably is) then I'd check the sender.
Sender should read 1.3kOhms @ 100F and 55ohm @ 260F *(note these are aprox, but should at least be stable)

If they both are in check, I would suspect the gauge :/. They can be replaced on your I/P pretty easily. Take the I/P out, take off the glass (4bolts), take out the gauge (2bolts), switch the gauge and reassemble.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Post a pick of your cluster I have some extra clusters lying around so if it is a cluster you need I may have one. just tryin to help.

The tach in my tahoe went crazy on me and it was the circuit board in the cluster that had gone bad. Switched it out and never had another problem.

CrewCab Steve

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I would have check it today, but spend the day pulling the motor/trans on my car.

Theres the cluster I have.
You must be registered for see images attach

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Ok I have a spare in that style would you be interested in it? I will check it over and make sure everything works before I would ship it to you. The cost is 25+shipping.

CrewCab Steve

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing I found out recently....My local Auto Zone has been selling "fail safe" thermostats. I have put them in everything I own because they were decently priced and came with the gasket. Little did I know they are famous for a floating or bobbing temperature needle. I was riding down the road thinking I had a coolant leak somewhere..because as many of you know..if you get air into your coolant the temp gauge will act screwy. Anyhow..I will be removing all of the "fail safe" thermostats. I do not know if this is a problem you are having...Just thought I would throw it out there.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The t-stat I put in it was a stock 195* AC Delco from ABC Auto. It was like $15 and didnt even come with the outlet gasket, which I had to buy seperately.

Ok I have a spare in that style would you be interested in it? I will check it over and make sure everything works before I would ship it to you. The cost is 25+shipping.

CrewCab Steve

I still have yet to test everything on the truck. When I test it, and if the gauge is bad, Ill more than likely take that cluster off your hands. Ill take a look at the truck this upcoming saturday, as I just dont have time during the week. So Ill let you know how everything plays out.