temp gauge is all over the place, please HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I have never had an issue with gauges on any chevy I have ever owned, but I am kind of hoping that is the case.
Never owned a GMT800 then I guess? :Big Laugh:

First, do you know that the truck isn't overheating? Have you tried a mechanical water temp gauge or an infrared gun? Just saying.

Also, check your ground wires. There are two braided straps near the A/C accumulator that go from frame-to-body and body-to-motor. There's also several wires on and near the thermostat housing.

Mythic

Reaction score
Hey Thunderstruck, I definitely have not owned a gmt800, lol. I will check the grounds tomorrow and also look into the mechanical temperature tester. Thanks for the advice.

Mythic

Reaction score
No new progress to report. I am chalking it up to the gauge. There are no leaks of any kind. All the related parts have been replaced with brand new. I got a laser temp gauge and it all checks out there as well. So for the time being, I am going to let it be.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck does the same thing and it's the gauge. If I watch the coolant temp on my blue tooth obdii adapter it's showing a constant temp which is normal. The gauge jumps all over the place

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
try drilling a 5/16 hole in the metal edge of the thermostat,,that will allow the air trapped below to be released, then re assemble and top off,,drive it and see if it stops,,,if this fails,,install a mechanical gauge,,,good luck,,

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The link won't work but here's what to search on eBay. It works with the app called Torque. Only on Android I believe. There's a thread about it here.
You must be registered for see images attach