TBI to Carb wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottcleaver

Reaction score
doesn't the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the engine also have a wire that shuts off fuel if the sensor notices low or no oil pressure?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They sell kits to control lockup that I believe runs off the fourth gear oil port on the transmission case ,,,,or a lot of guys run a switch on the dash to enable lockup ..... watch a basic kit install here ....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
....NOTE -that convenient 4th gear oil port is not on every single yr 700r - some don't have it ...in that case you have to drill and tap the accumulators top to install the kit .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
doesn't the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the engine also have a wire that shuts off fuel if the sensor notices low or no oil pressure?

No I don't believe its the one at the back of the engine -that oil sender runs to your dash gage ...I think there is a multi terminal oil pressure switch located elsewhere down on the block that reads the oil pressure for fuel pump enable...the way I recall my Camaro circuit working (probably the same for trucks) was the ecu gives you two seconds of fuel pump prime when you initially turn the key,,,,, then its up to that block mounted / other oil pressure switch to come up to pressure and enable the fuel pump continuously beyond those first two seconds of prime when you turn the key on ...... FWIW ...

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
No I don't believe its the one at the back of the engine -that oil sender runs to your dash gage ...I think there is a multi terminal oil pressure switch located elsewhere down on the block that reads the oil pressure for fuel pump enable...the way I recall my Camaro circuit working (probably the same for trucks) was the ecu gives you two seconds of fuel pump prime when you initially turn the key,,,,, then its up to that block mounted / other oil pressure switch to come up to pressure and enable the fuel pump continuously beyond those first two seconds of prime when you turn the key on ...... FWIW ...

The sensor is is located just above the oil filter. But you can delete it.

If you are using the stock fuel relay and wiring you can modify it like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

This way will bypass the oil pressure sensor and come on with ignition and no longer be controlled by the computer.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And btw those oil pressure switches unfortunately go bad all the time...I had two in my Camaro (I got stranded and required a tow one night because of it ) until I finally got sick and tired of it and got rid of it like the wiring mod above shows ......

DemonDuallie

Reaction score
I swapped my 454 to carb. Had a regulator but it wasn't doing anything. So I put in a small electric inline pump. Worked great until I suddenly had a fire. Now the harness has been thinned out for me. Lol.
No major damage. Only thing you need the ecm for is the speedo.
I snipped the wire at the firewall for the in tank pump, put a connector on it and hooked my small pump to it. Incase I ever decide to go back to tbi, which is now, never.
My 454 worked a lot better with the carb I put a Demon 750 dp.