TBI head options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REDLT4

Reaction score
I need to replace heads on a TBI 350 and was wondering if anyone has experience with these:

I looked up reviews regarding this place, and it was not great, so afraid to order them.

I also found a history of summit offering a similar aluminum head, but no longer. Similar with Engine Quest heads, seemed like a good option, but no longer offered.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find out if those heads:
1. Are a Communist Chinese casting, and
2. Have an exhaust crossover passage.

The price is too-good-to-be-true, and they're using the same photo for their Vortec heads. I think they're a cheap Vortec casting with the TBI bolt pattern drilled into them.

That means the intake ports are going to be tall (which may not work with TBI intake manifolds) and probably won't be compatible with EGR or exhaust-heated intake for good mixture distribution/fuel vaporization.

You ought to look at this similar thread:
www.gmt400.com/threads/1988-5-7-tbi-heads.62737/

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace heads on a TBI 350 and was wondering if anyone has experience with these:

I looked up reviews regarding this place, and it was not great, so afraid to order them.

I also found a history of summit offering a similar aluminum head, but no longer. Similar with Engine Quest heads, seemed like a good option, but no longer offered.
I was interested in these heads for my TBI Silverado until I read some reviews of the business; I will look elsewhere because of the bad reviews.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to or email a reputable machine shop who builds oval track dirt or pavement Chevrolet Vortec Racing engines.

Let them source your heads as bare Vortec heads. The ones they recommend not the ones you think will work.
They will have a list of duds to avoid. They will build you affordable heads from known good castings which can save you money because they buy in volume and do mainly Chevrolet Race Car Dirt Track Engines.

You'll be supporting the good guys who run the racing industry too. Best option for higher quality at any price.

Lil' homework and reasearch required. Call them yourself. Tell them your predicament. Do not make up a story.

If they are less than $1200.00 plus core, for a discount pair, (plus delivery), you are buying from the wrong machinist, in my humble opinion. You might be able to negotiate the core fee or find some other heads he will accept as cores. If he is out of town pay the core charge or try to locate a trustworthy local machinist and meet him in person.
If you want to ask him to select some extra quality castings and perform some of his race head magic, you could expect to see $1600-$1800 a pair. It will be worth every penney.

Keep in mind, if your local shop sources the same crap castings in you post, you'll end up with the same crap you are trying to avoid in this thread. Make him prove his source and ask him for time to verify his supplier's reputation and then get everything he says in writing. If he refuses find another machinist.

Pay the nice man for $120 stainless valves, proper valve seals and quality springs and retainers, or you'll get ripped off with substandard valves and springs.

Do not insult him with worthless FleaBate cores, or you'll make him angry. If you buy from a circle track machinist, you might be better off just paying the core fee because shipping cores will not be pretty.

Chevrolet Performance Fast Burn Cylinder Heads 19417592 run $1293.00 EACH for a reason.
When you race, you buy from The General and they work and they are NOT cheap.
You can certainly get a better deal than they run, but they are the real deal Vortec heads, not the fakers or duds.

The Machinist Union and the aftermarket supply system is a very powerful group of people who will teach you to buy directly from the machinist or you may learn the hard way.

You do have a choice... (Well, OK, not really...) You have no choice... Chevrolet Fast Burn, slow painful expensive burn... or pay the nice machinist man and get it all in writing.

Choose wisely.

Good Luck!