Tail light boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aftermarket parts are schit. I just go around looking for the cleanest trucks I can find at yards and then liberating them of their taillight boards. I use a multimeter to check the sockets and my eye balls to spot excessive corrosion. If those two things check out, the boards go home with me. I've got two years on the junkyard boards I put on my '89. Granted, they're blade style bulbs now but the twist style socket boards were an even poorer design that pretty much rotted out instantly.
Where you live, thats an option, and I would do the same, but if you live in the south, where the temps in the summer time ( about 6 months a year) are in the high 90s, this dries out all plastic, and makes it very brittle. Any board, or hell any plastic found in the salvage yard any where around me, will be trash. It will crack, brake and just fall apart once you start fooling with it.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last set of boards I replaced from Amazon I think they were TYC. They lasted a long time. Now using the IPCW LED tail light boxes. No board to have to replace, ever! :)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't seen the TYC boards but a common brand, claimed to be made in the USA, is TMC Glo-Brite (I think 454 mentioned them) - they're awful. The bulbs fit really loose in the sockets. My LED bulbs wouldn't even stay in them. :(

Richard