Tahoe Tailgate panel alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can those of you with a tailgate Tahoe/Burb see if your rear panels are like the photos below? This is a 98 model, the tailgate isn’t level and causes a water leak.

On the passenger side, this panel sits lower than the driver side so the strikers are at different levels.

You must be registered for see images

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Just checked my gaps. Took pictures, although it's from a different angle, should give you an idea of things. FWIW, I have barn doors so maybe that's why things don't look the same.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: Don't mind the dirty truck, I'll be cleaning it shortly haha.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. It looks like yours is a different setup but at least they made it consistent.

On mine, the spot welded panels with the black grommet (tail light screw access) are at different heights. That puts the tailgate striker bolt a little higher on one side and it cannot be adjusted.

Trying to figure out why my tailgate sits 1/8”-1/4” lower on one side, causing a water leak.

Here is how the same panels fit at the bottom. Circled area shows no gap on one side and then a gap on the driver side.

Driver side...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I’d probably avoid trying to swap it over.

This is one of those lessons learned - if I was ever in the market for another tailgate model I would check for leaks and pay close attention to how everything fits in the back.