System Setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
ehhh.. forget it.. I have had 7.1 in a Jag.. I know what you are saying, and fully understand.. just if a ride came with four speakers and you remove two.. you remove the quality of sound by removing its focal point. And yeah, most home surrounds still use a front sub.. Home theater surrounds of higher quality also have a rear.. not focused on lower frequency as much as the front, but the spreading of the sound..

Last edited:

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol... i have had a 7.1 in my lod Jag. Your correct, home has a sub up front most of the time.. most vehicles have four channels as to where a work truck/van may only have two.. I know what your saying, trust me.. But if you have a vehicle that has four speakers FL FR RL RR and you remove two.. you remove that portion of the sound being produced by the unit.. Get me? Also not trying to flame..
While most vehicles technically have 4 channels they aren't truly 4 distinct channels. They are designed to play a 2 channel source through 4 channels with minimal (or no) processing. I agree the if you remove 2 of the 4 speakers you are removing something... duh :) but it wouldn't be the first time that factory has done something "wrong" for what ever reason. I believe that factory usually puts rears in for 2 reasons... #1 rear passengers and #2 (applies mostly to sedans with 6x9s in the rear deck) they can help make up for something that the crappy stock front speakers lack... In a sedan where they put in 6x9s they are trying to make up for bass response. With subs this is a moot point. #2 is non applicable to our trucks because you're not going to get any bass out of a 4x6 speaker anyway. I honestly don't know the purpose of rear speakers in an ext cab truck other than customers expect them to be there (whether they have a legitimate purpose or not). And in an ext cab passengers aren't usually back there and they would be able to hear a set of front components just fine :) Now I wouldn't recommend removing the rears if you aren't going to put in good after market component speakers up front but, especially in a truck with good speakers up front there is no real reason for rears...

Reaction score
lol... I agree, so you do see what im saying... I understand your point, also not trying to flame.. ya did tick me off but oh well.. I see your point.. but still, the speakers are arranged to focus the sound. They aren't placed to fill voids in panels. we are arguing the same point but in different perspectives.. So im done.. to each his own. carry on....

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol... I agree, so you do see what im saying... I understand your point, also not trying to flame.. ya did tick me off but oh well.. I see your point.. but still, the speakers are arranged to focus the sound. They aren't placed to fill voids in panels. we are arguing the same point but in different perspectives.. So im done.. to each his own. carry on....

To each his own... exactly. I think we aren't making any progress so I'll be done too. :)

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally don't run rear speakers because it throws the balance off so badly. With the way they're mounted in the cab it's next to impossible to tune the time alignment (or balance and fader controls if you don't have a deck with t/a) to get decent imaging all around. It with either sound OK to everybody, or really good for the driver and horrible to the passengers. The reason you can put a sub anywhere and make it sound decent is the way your ears perceive the lower frequencies. It's much easier to "locate" the higher frequencies with your ears.
And if there are any back-seat passengers, those speakers are less than 1 ft. away from one ear, while the others are all the way across the cab. Not my idea of a pleasant listening experience to only listen to the one blasting right into my head. (This also goes for the front seat of a RC, which is why I took out the first aftermarket set of 4x6's I put in there after 1 drive. Waste of $80.)

I run a Pioneer 960 which has time alignment. I'll never have another deck without it because of how incredibly adjustable it is. You don't need to use balance and fader controls anymore. I have mine tuned so that sitting in the drivers seat it sounds like everything is coming from directly in front of you through the windshield. Just like the band is setup on your hood.

I'd also look at infinity for 4x6's, they make a couple of "plate mount" speakers that are basically a 4" woofer with a tweeter off to the side. And they're the best sounding 4x6 I've found for under $200. Usually you can find them 50% off on some of the audio websites so under $100 for the pair.

Last edited:

ridin_low07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Digital Designs makes a 6.5" sub that beats. im thinkin that would be wicked.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of the DD 6.5 sub but I've heard really really good things about the Tang Band 6.5 sub that is available from parts express. You'd want to put multiple subs though. I saw a video where a guy had 4 in his trunk and it hit really good. If you can I'd try to put 4 of them in if they are 6.5" regardless of the brand. I've got an 8" and it hits good but I wish it moved more air for the low notes and with less than 3 or 4 6.5" subs you'd probably have the same problem.