System Setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridin_low07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to decide how I want to set up the system in my 90 xcab. I am thinking of replacing my front speakers with 4x6 Pioneers, the rears with 6x9 pioneers, and putting this 12" Hifonics sub under the rear seat. thats where my dilema comes in. Is there a single box that would point the sub at the underside of the seat so I dont have to worry about my kiddo kickin my sub every chance she gets? I am not entirely sure whether that is upfire, downfire, chrysler crossfire, or wildfire (jk on the last two folks). What company should I be looking? I want to be able to mount the amp to the box maybe over the driveshaft tunnel or something. let me know folks.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a single ten inch box for behind the seat in regular cab under the rear seat in my girls 99 xtra cab

ridin_low07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i like the flush look of the underseat boxes so that is what im shooting for

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's gonna be hard to fit a 12 under the ext cab rear seat anyway you slice it... Possibly with a custom fiberglass box. I would just go with a single 10" box. It's actually not too hard to build your own. I built my own up firing box in my truck. I had a free 8" sub that I was gonna use so I wasn't too concerned with building it as big as possible. Turns out I built it about 3/4" too small to fit a 10" sub in there. So Now I'm stuck with my little 8" but that thing hits almost as hard as my friends 10" in a regular cab ford. It always surprises me with how well it performs for a single 8". What I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to put in a single 10" as that will still sound really good if you get a decent subwoofer and built the box to have the right air space.

Shoot I just realized that you have a 90 so that would be the old interior. I don't know if the area under the seat in that interior style is the same as my 97... My 97 has that weird hump for the gas tank which makes the box need to be an L shaped wedge.

If possible I would skip the rear speakers and just disconnect them. You don't need rears if you have good front speakers... Especially in an ext cab truck. Either way I don't think you'll fit 6x9s back there.

Oval speakers are more difficult to get to make sound good than round speakers are. something to do with the stability of the cone or something like that. So if you can just put some round speakers in your door panels (My brother did it in his 94) or even better buy a kick panel enclosure (or fiberglass your own) and put them in the kicks. The kicks are the most ideal spot to put them and then you could run a set of components too. The Kicks just aren't the easiest or most economical.

ridin_low07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
appreciate all the comments. the only reason I was thinking of the twelve is because I have a brand new Hifonics twelve sitting in the closet that a friend gave to me. im not looking to shake the car next to me. I just wanna enjoy the lows. I also understand that the 6x9s may be impractical and the Kick Pods are outrageously expensive. Hopefully I can pull out the kick panels in my Burb and make my own set. I just have to make it plenty sturdy. I also dont run my subs all the time so the rears I kinda need.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you already have kick pods in your burb? why wouldn't you run your subs all the time?

ridin_low07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the regular plastic kick panels but could probably make the pods pretty simply. I dont run my subs all the time because I have two young daughters whose ears werent made for constant bass.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well rather than turning the subs off just dial down the sub volume control on your HU. In all honesty though your ears aren't much different than anybody else if it would hurt the ears of a younger teenager it's probably not overly healthy for your ears either. Really small children are definitely more sensitive though.

I still don't see why you'd need rear speakers because they won't give you much (if any) bass anyway. Subwoofers don't have to = massive amounts of head shaking bass. If you like head shaking bass that's fine but almost all HUs will have a control for the subwoofer volume and most of them will go -6 to +6. If you tune your system to produce it's maximum (non clipped) volume at 0 and it's still too loud at -6 then re tune your system while it is at +6 which essentially makes +6 = 0 and -6 = -12. -12 will be close to off for most non-competition systems.

So your burbs kicks are just the stock panels?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well rather than turning the subs off just dial down the sub volume control on your HU. In all honesty though your ears aren't much different than anybody else if it would hurt the ears of a younger teenager it's probably not overly healthy for your ears either. Really small children are definitely more sensitive though.

I still don't see why you'd need rear speakers because they won't give you much (if any) bass anyway. Subwoofers don't have to = massive amounts of head shaking bass. If you like head shaking bass that's fine but almost all HUs will have a control for the subwoofer volume and most of them will go -6 to +6. If you tune your system to produce it's maximum (non clipped) volume at 0 and it's still too loud at -6 then re tune your system while it is at +6 which essentially makes +6 = 0 and -6 = -12. -12 will be close to off for most non-competition systems.

So your burbs kicks are just the stock panels?

I would not disconect the rear speakers; go ahead and put a good set of 6X9's back there. By disconecting them (and not adding speakers [not subwoofers] elsewhere in the rear of the truck) would really mess up the acoustics of the system. It's not a direct swap in, but with some carefull trimming it can be done. Also i'm guessing ridin_low, like myself, wants good sound throughout (ie. Highs, mids,) not just bass. And i disagree, a 6X9 will put out a good amount of bass. I have a 57' Chevy in my shop, we installed Infinity referance 6X9's in the rear deck, along with Sony 6 1/2" components in custom kick panels, with a Sony HU. It hits pretty damn good, if i do say myself. Thats my .02