Switching to electric fans 1997 Yukon 5.7 4x4 2dr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonnygeewhiz

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first attempt at posting on this forum. But I thought, what the heck. I am switching to electric fans mainly because my factory fan is failing, and it sounds like an interesting project. I just ordered (2) 14" curved blade fans from etrailer.com. I know it sounds crazy but they seemed to have the lowest price. The brand name is Derale, or something like that. Instead of going with one, I decided two would make more sense. I also ordered the kit to hook up to the factory a/c. I read about some of the other brands and how many amps they were pulling, so I went with these. I'm going to fabricate my own shroud, and we will see how it goes. I will let you know how it goes.

mistaake

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first attempt at posting on this forum. But I thought, what the heck. I am switching to electric fans mainly because my factory fan is failing, and it sounds like an interesting project. I just ordered (2) 14" curved blade fans from etrailer.com. I know it sounds crazy but they seemed to have the lowest price. The brand name is Derale, or something like that. Instead of going with one, I decided two would make more sense. I also ordered the kit to hook up to the factory a/c. I read about some of the other brands and how many amps they were pulling, so I went with these. I'm going to fabricate my own shroud, and we will see how it goes. I will let you know how it goes.

Cool! Let us know. I'd consider it in my burb but I'll be interested to hear about the total cost when you are done :)

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
me too! I used dual fans out of a fordwindstar and they fit in the factory shroud almost like a glove. did your fans come with a shroud?? I think they would work better if they had one because it helps move air over the whole radiator not just where the fans are. I used a hayden fan wireing kit that works great. i wired one fan to the low side and the other to the high side. then you can set it to what temp you want it to turn on. it turns the low side on first and then if it gets 10 degrees hotter it turns the high side on.

check out ccreddell write up on this

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?29579-Windstar-efan-conversion&p=830288#post830288

or this is very similar to what i did but am92 beat me to it

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?11382-Windstar-Electric-Fan-Install

there is lots of info on these e-fan conversions and alot of people can help ya out. so far im really glad i did mine they work great!

Truckracer

Reaction score
Don't do it. A new fan clutch and drive trouble free for another 200k miles..

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
to each their own. I like mine and it was a fun project