Suspension rattle

Discussion in 'Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits' started by _nickjoseph, Sep 16, 2019.

1. _nickjoseph

_nickjoseph I'm Awesome

A ra
    With a socket and ratchet on one side and a wrench on the other

2. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

Take them jokers back if it's the bushing is sized incorrectly. The bolt and bushing should be taking the force from the shock not the clamping force from tightening. Take bolt with you to check.

Possible that the shock was dead out of the box and that's why if feels like it has no control, or has been damaged already?

You've mentioned all the suspension parts but the LCA bushings. Did you do those?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    454cid likes this.
  3. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

I mean what size, 3/8" ratchet? I'm questioning if it's a bushing issue like Hipster is pointing out or if you just need to put more ass on the bolt. What kind of shocks are they?

4. _nickjoseph

_nickjoseph I'm Awesome

3/8 yeah and the brand I’m not sure. Got them from oreillys

5. Supercharged111

It's more about the size. Go try cranking on it with a 1/2" ratchet and see if it still moves.

6. east302

east302 I'm Awesome

Torque spec for upper and lower nuts is 66 ft-lbs. If the bolt isn’t moving in the bracket and the shock is instead moving up and down on the top bolt, I’d take the shocks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_nickjoseph likes this.
  7. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

Whoda thunk to buy or download a service manual for something they're working on that has the torque specs for every bolt on the vehicle.

You crazy. That would make too much sense! lol

8. 454cid

454cid Sooper Pooper

Hey sometimes they're wrong.... the manual tells me to torque the bolts that replace the rivets in my upper ball joints to a torque well beyond what the bolt size can handle :D

I twisted two bolts off like they were made of cheese until I looked at what I was doing closer:eek:. The new bolts were grade 5 and the spec was above what would be appropriate for an 8.

I suspect the shocks in the OP's case. Either that, or someone has used undersized bolts. I don't recall how tightly the bolts fit through the mounts. It's been awhile since I've had mine apart.

_nickjoseph likes this.
  9. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

This is a problem and have run into it before, some ball joints don't come with appropriate bolts. Most times I have seen this is Autozone stuff, with Moog ones I never had an issue.

But yeah it's a wtf moment because the ones that come with it were just past snug was broken.

10. Supercharged111

66 ft/lb is quite a bit for a 3/8 ratchet, it's possible they're loose. Also possible that we have some bottom shelf Chinese shocks inducing the issue and/or undersized bolts that were installed somewhere along the lines of the truck's 20+ year existence. We have yet to see a pic.

_nickjoseph likes this.