Suspension lifts? Need opinions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a suspension lift now for a while and have some money saved up. I've got a 1998 gmc sierra ecsb z71. The rcx kits are the cheapest and seem to be well known so I'm mainly looking at them. Also I'm not overflowing with money so I plan on keeping the stockers on it. and just sizing up the tires.

1. 2-3 inch rough country suspension lift.
**Contents:Front: Upper control arms w/pressed-in ball joints, differential drop bracket, torsion bar adjuster keys, shock relocation brackets, and hardware.
Rear: Option of rear lift blocks or rear add-a-leafs.

Does anyone have any opinions, pictures, or anything on it? I understand new keys won't do anything but it does have upper control arms and a differential drop bracket. How exactly is the front end lifted? is it just from cranking or do the arms and bracket do it? ..I'm more interested in this one because it's the cheapest. (Don't tell me to get a body lift. I want ground clearance. and the only ground clearance you get from that is from the upgrade in tires. Plus I don't like them..) Here's the link. http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_88-98_2-3.html

2. 4 inch rcx suspension. I kind of think that if I'm going to spend 1,000 dollars on a lift, I might as well get the 6 inch. http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_88-98_4.html

3. 6 inch kit. It's obviously the most used kit and well known and all... it'd be nice, but this is my only truck. Daily driver. So that might be a little too much to be parking in the school parking lot in my opinion. But it's still an option. http://roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_88-98_6.html

All opinions and pictures are welcome! Just don't start any arguments. Those get annoying to read.. haha

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Do not get the 2-3 inch kit. All that does is tax your front end parts more.

The 6" kit is only a few dollars more, and if you search retailmenot.com for a JC Whitney coupon code, you can get it shipped to your door for about $950.

I'll be getting the 6" kit in a couple months!

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing is, it's an 85% road truck. If I had another one, I'd be all in! I'm sure it's fine to drive and all but 6 inch is expensive and a lot of lift..

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6"

2-3" kit is total junk and not worth 100 let alone the price they charge for it, you can max out the obs bars and keys and that is more than enough for a stock truck

6" kit is only a few dollars more, not much difference between the 2 but you crank to the 6" mark and the AAL in the rear as far as i know

i know u you dont want a body lift, but they can work fine for what you need, i have dd and wheeled my truck since i have put mine on and it has performed great for what it is

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Body lift would be okay, but I have too many things I would have to adjust to not have any gaps. I think gaps are terrible imo. Brush guard, tow package, bumpers, nerf bars, painting the frame, etc..

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is that?

The 2-3" 'suspension' uses keys (which are unneeded) and crank to achieve the lift. Only plus is it drops the front diff down to flatten CV angles and UCA to help lower the upper balljoint angle. All the other steering parts are still at steep angles, which means alot of wear and the crank makes for a rough ride.

What size tire are you looking for? If just a 33 go with the 4" kit, 35's 6" kit. Both are the same kit just 6" uses a AAL and minor crank to get lift. With 35" tires regearing would be a huge upgrade too for daily driving and fuel mileage, also helps out trans.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The 2-3" 'suspension' uses keys (which are unneeded) and crank to achieve the lift. Only plus is it drops the front diff down to flatten CV angles and UCA to help lower the upper balljoint angle. All the other steering parts are still at steep angles, which means alot of wear and the crank makes for a rough ride.

What size tire are you looking for? If just a 33 go with the 4" kit, 35's 6" kit. Both are the same kit just 6" uses a AAL and minor crank to get lift. With 35" tires regearing would be a huge upgrade too for daily driving and fuel mileage, also helps out trans.

What he said.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO why waste time buying the 4 inch when it's less then a hundred bucks cheaper?

Buy the big one, set it to what lift you want 4 inches or 6, ad if you don't want it 6 inches sell the add a leafs for like a hundred and get you some money back.