Sub popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I asked in my build thread, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here also. When I turn my truck on, the sub pops and makes noise. When I change the radio station, the sub pops and makes noise. When I go from tuner to CD to input, it pops and makes noise. I think you can see where it's going. Any ideas on why it does this? It's a Jensen 250w amp and a Pioneer 12" sub. My radio is a Dual, that's about all I know about that. Any help is appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first instinct tells me to check all your grounds and connections, especially for the remote wire. But, the fact that it does this when you change stations or adjust things on the radio leads me to believe it's something internal. Dual units really are about as bottom of the barrel as you can get. You might try grounding the RCA outputs for your sub to the radio chassis and see if that helps at all.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Is the right and left speakers powered by the Dual CD player?
If they are powered by the Dual, pull the RCA's from the amp and check to see if the Dual CD player pops the right and left speakers.
You may have to turn the volume up to test.
If the Dual pops the right and left speakers, then you've found the culprit. Get a new CD player.

If the Dual passes with no popping, then it's time to look at the amp.
As suggested, re-check all the wiring to the amp.
Temporarily connect a different sub to the amp and see if it pops also. If it stops popping with a different sub, then you've found the problem. It's either the sub itself or it's vibrating in the box (loose mounting).

If it pops with a different sub, then it's probably the amp. Borrow a different amp and test for popping to confirm.

Hope this helps.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
My first instinct tells me to check all your grounds and connections, especially for the remote wire. But, the fact that it does this when you change stations or adjust things on the radio leads me to believe it's something internal. Dual units really are about as bottom of the barrel as you can get. You might try grounding the RCA outputs for your sub to the radio chassis and see if that helps at all.

I was gonna say this but didn't Wana be too harsh Dual head units are JUNK!

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did you set your gain? Did you set your gain? Do you have low or high voltage RCA plugs in your Dual? Do you have a capacitor?

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dual only cost me like $25, so I figured I would use it until I get a different one. The amp was set when I bought from a kid that had it set for 2 twelves. They hit pretty fierce. It has low voltage RCA plugs, I don't have a capacitor. Am I missing any questions? I will have to check later on this week. I hooked it up to test it. I am going to work on the center console in shop for a few days. Thanks for all the help!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Is your amp triggered by the remote wire on your head unit or do you use acc power to turn it on?

For some reason, I seem to recall you mentioning it was acc power triggered .....

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dual only cost me like $25, so I figured I would use it until I get a different one. The amp was set when I bought from a kid that had it set for 2 twelves. They hit pretty fierce. It has low voltage RCA plugs, I don't have a capacitor. Am I missing any questions? I will have to check later on this week. I hooked it up to test it. I am going to work on the center console in shop for a few days. Thanks for all the help!

250w? For 2 12" subs? That's hardly anything. It somewhat sounds to me that 1. The amp's gain is not properly adjusted for the load 2. The subs before damaged the amp.

I think it's the amp causing all of this. If you're planning on changing the head unit anyways, change the amp too... preferably to something in the 700-1000w (Peak) range. Sure, might be overkill.... but you won't ever kill that amp with whatever sub you plug up to it. Then when you get a head unit, get one with high voltage outputs, along with a .5 farad cap and you'll be sitting pretty for YEARS.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the RCAs. Could be RCA jacks in either head unit or amp. Unplug 1 thing at a time until you narrow it down. (remote power, RCAs, main power)

Radio517

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was the amp. Here is the new, to me, amp.
You must be registered for see images attach
<--- Click it.