stuff that catches my eye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks good, 93, 5.7, 180k km's. $6800 cdn = $1500us :)

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
...and then...
AND THEN...
There's this...
...THIS!
Such B.S!!! They've already collected tax on the vehicle when it was sold new.
But they (Big Brother) then collect even more on each & every subsequent sale of each & every vehicle sold here.

Provincial Sales Tax (PST) = 7%. (Collected by the Provincial Gov. & remains within the province. Theoretically.)
Goods & Services Tax (GST) = 5% (Collected by the Gov. of Canada.)

From the B.C. Gov.'s website.
  • If you buy a used car in British Columbia, expect to pay between 12 and 20% in sales tax, depending on the car’s value and where you purchase it.
  • If you buy the car from a dealer, federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) is charged at a rate of 7%.
  • Provincial sales tax (PST) is also charged at a rate of 7% for vehicles less than $55,000, which increases by 1 percent for each additional $1,000 for vehicles above $57,000, up to a maximum of 10 percent.
GST does not apply to used vehicles sold privately, but a 12% PST is charged on those.

Did you catch that?
PST + GST = 12%
There is NO GST on used vehicles.
But the PST is bumped up to 12%.
WTF'nF? The Canadian gov. decides to give us a bit of a break, but the yokels figure we're already paying 12% on every-t-h-i-n-g, so they might as well dive right in there & scoop up that extra 5% because, hey, nobody's really gonna notice anyway.

That truck would have another $816.00 Cdn. ($645.57 US) added (grabbed!) for a total of...
$7616.00 Cdn. or $6025.25 US.
Still, not a bad deal for a fairly low mileage truck.
If it was a C1500 & accordingly, around $1000.00 cheaper, I'd be on my way to go look at it.

Apologies for the rant. Kind of a soft-spot.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...and then...
AND THEN...
There's this...
...THIS!
But they (Big Brother) then collect even more on each & every subsequent sale of each & every vehicle sold here.

Provincial Sales Tax (PST) = 7%. (Collected by the Provincial Gov. & remains within the province. Theoretically.)
Goods & Services Tax (GST) = 5% (Collected by the Gov. of Canada.)

From the B.C. Gov.'s website.
  • If you buy a used car in British Columbia, expect to pay between 12 and 20% in sales tax, depending on the car’s value and where you purchase it.
  • If you buy the car from a dealer, federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) is charged at a rate of 7%.
  • Provincial sales tax (PST) is also charged at a rate of 7% for vehicles less than $55,000, which increases by 1 percent for each additional $1,000 for vehicles above $57,000, up to a maximum of 10 percent.
GST does not apply to used vehicles sold privately, but a 12% PST is charged on those.

Did you catch that?
PST + GST = 12%
There is NO GST on used vehicles.
But the PST is bumped up to 12%.
WTF'nF? The Canadian gov. decides to give us a bit of a break, but the yokels figure we're already paying 12% on every-t-h-i-n-g, so they might as well dive right in there & scoop up that extra 5% because, hey, nobody's really gonna notice anyway.

That truck would have another $816.00 Cdn. ($645.57 US) added (grabbed!) for a total of...
$7616.00 Cdn. or $6025.25 US.
Still, not a bad deal for a fairly low mileage truck.
If it was a C1500 & accordingly, around $1000.00 cheaper, I'd be on my way to go look at it.

Apologies for the rant. Kind of a soft-spot.
have you seen the new tax rules for privately purchased vehicles?
short story, GOV sets purchase price, regardless of what you actually paid.
you get a great private deal, they tax you more .....

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, beautiful formatting

Yea... we get that here in Texas too. "Only" 6.25%. The real gotcha here is that you pay sales tax on the full price at the beginning of a lease and again on the residual if you decide to purchase after the lease