Stripping, pealing chrome over plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody figured out a way of stripping this pealing chrome from the grilles? I don’t really want to pull it off by hand one tiny sliver at a time and it won’t fit in my blast cabinet. I’m not sure if aircraft stripper will do it? Maybe soak it in degreaser, wrap it in black trash bags and set it in the sun? Lemme know what you’ve tried and experimented with. It’s in good shape otherwise and fits better than the aftermarket ones.
You must be registered for see images attach

Al_Bundy

Reaction score
Wut? Lol
(daggum autocorrect making it look like words are hard)
Let me fix that for you lol. I was going to grab an 18 pack of Bud Lights and start peeling off the chrome with some pliers. I’m looking to see what will come out of this thread you’ve started.

I’m a total newbie to this chrome stuff.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me fix that for you lol. I was going to grab an 18 pack of Bud Lights and start peeling off the chrome with some pliers. I’m looking to see what will come out of this thread you’ve started.

I’m a total newbie to this chrome stuff.
Gotcha hahahah. I hate chrome. I hope somebody has a method that doesn’t involve pliers and blistered finger tips.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it tape, or bonded to the plastic?
It’s like a thin metal. It’s curled up on the edges. I’m assuming some kind of electroplating? There’s no adhesive. It peels off but in tiny slivers

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this:
Mix one cup of hydrochloric acid in a plastic bucket with three cups of water. Dunk your chrome-plated piece in the solution until you see the chrome come off. Remove the piece and rinse it thoroughly.

Or on YouTube there’s a guy hitting it with a heat gun. On low CAREFULLY I’m sure.