Strange, specific power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob249

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truck is a 1994 GMC Yukon, 4x4, 5.7. A little background info that may be relevant to this problem, my drivers door has worn hinge pins that requires me to slam the door to get it closed, been that way for a year, and I'm an idiot for not fixing it yet. That being said, here's my problem;

About 2 weeks ago, i was pulling into my driveway, while rolling the windows down, and experienced a loss of power. Voltage gauge went to zero, windows stopped working, engine sputtered but continued to run barely, and same with the A/C. This lasted for a couple of seconds, then went away, everything began to work normally, except the windows still didn't work. Went inside for about 10 minutes, came back out to replace a fuse, i assumed, only to find that my windows, and everything else, was working normally. I have had no issues since, until today.

Today, on my way to work, it happened twice while driving, around 1-3 minutes after it was started. The engine, although barely, continued to run, and same with the a/c fan. It also happened on the way home from work. It seems to happen only once every time the motor is started, always within 1-3 minutes of starting. About 75% of the time, the windows continue to work afterward. Letting it sit, off, for 10-15 minutes seems to "reset" the problem.

I have also noticed that when i slam my door, as i have to now, i lose ACC power for an instant, which made me think it is a short in the door or window motor, but if that were the case, it should be burning up fuses right? Ill check the obd 1 codes tomorrow and see if its telling me anything. Any ideas would be very helpful, this is my only vehicle so its quite important. Thanks all.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
If it's an electrical issue such as a short, I highly doubt it'll show up via the CEL unless it was related to what the ECM governs. It does indeed sound like a short is plausible. Those won't always pop a fuse, especially if just for an instant. The circuit has to pull enough heat to melt/burn out the thin strip connecting both blades of the fuse, if that doesn't happen, fuse is still happy. Beyond pulling the door panel off and snooping around for obvious broken wires & using a multimeter while working the controls and such, I can't really tell you much more as I've never had one of these with the fancy power windows and such.