Strange clicking from passenger side dash area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, all!

The subject speaks for itself on this one. The click happens when i put the into the run position, then stops after a while. It also starts back up when i try to use the HVAC controls.

Any suggestions? If you need more info, let me know.
It's the fresh air blend door actuator. Mine does it too. It's a ***** to change that one too. You remove the dash cover and it's on top in the back by the heater core. I replaced heater core when I had my dash out but thought the blend door would be fine. I was wrong. First time I fired up the truck it was clicking.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Your responses have been a huge help!!

I've attach a picture. There is a blend door in the area of the red arrow; that one had been fixed (at least I think it has been; it doesn't click anymore). I took it apart cleaned and grease all of the gears. The motor and gear were all good.

The actuator in the area of the yellow arrow doesn't click. Can it still be bad? Do I have to remove the dash for that one or can I sneak my hands in there. I really don't want to remove the dash (GM's plastics aren't really known for their longevity. As I'm sure you all know )

At this point, the clicking issue is fixed. I just need to fix the blinking arrow issue on the AC/heat controls.

Attachments

• 92_68s[1]~2.jpg
    92_68s[1]~2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 20

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Your responses have been a huge help!!

I've attach a picture. There is a blend door in the area of the red arrow; that one had been fixed (at least I think it has been; it doesn't click anymore). I took it apart cleaned and grease all of the gears. The motor and gear were all good.

The actuator in the area of the yellow arrow doesn't click. Can it still be bad? Do I have to remove the dash for that one or can I sneak my hands in there. I really don't want to remove the dash (GM's plastics aren't really known for their longevity. As I'm sure you all know )

At this point, the clicking issue is fixed. I just need to fix the blinking arrow issue on the AC/heat controls.
You can indeed change all three of the HVAC system actuators without removing the dash. The temperature blend (middle actuator) is a little tricky since it's close to the dash structure but creative tool combos can get it done pretty easily. I've done it several times on customer trucks but it's been years so specifics are lost at this point, suffice it to say though I didn't pull their dash, and also swapped some of them while they waited.

Richard

FrankieD61

Reaction score
You can indeed change all three of the HVAC system actuators without removing the dash. The temperature blend (middle actuator) is a little tricky since it's close to the dash structure but creative tool combos can get it done pretty easily. I've done it several times on customer trucks but it's been years so specifics are lost at this point, suffice it to say though I didn't pull their dash, and also swapped some of them while they waited.

Richard

What would that blend door be called? I want to order it from Rockauto.

dilerin

Reaction score
Undoubtedly an actuator. I had the same deal with my '98 K2500. I began an investigation and learned that there are three actuators down there in the air distribution system, each with a plastic gear that has a tendency to split. Two of the actuators are virtually impossible to access so I removed the whole distribution system and discovered two of the three actuator gears split. The electrical part of each was good; just the split gears. You can buy replacement gears (an improved version), and once you have the actuator removed and in hand it's about a five minute job to install the new gear. I bought new gears but - since removal and replacement of the system is so difficult and frustrating I in the end decided to just replace all three actuators with new ones while I was in there, as well as the heater core. The removal and replacement of the air dist. system is to date the most difficult job I have done on this truck.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
Undoubtedly an actuator. I had the same deal with my '98 K2500. I began an investigation and learned that there are three actuators down there in the air distribution system, each with a plastic gear that has a tendency to split. Two of the actuators are virtually impossible to access so I removed the whole distribution system and discovered two of the three actuator gears split. The electrical part of each was good; just the split gears. You can buy replacement gears (an improved version), and once you have the actuator removed and in hand it's about a five minute job to install the new gear. I bought new gears but - since removal and replacement of the system is so difficult and frustrating I in the end decided to just replace all three actuators with new ones while I was in there, as well as the heater core. The removal and replacement of the air dist. system is to date the most difficult job I have done on this truck.

For the blinking or clicking issue?

I took one of mine apart too. It's actually not bad.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
I've attached another picture. I found this one on Rockauto will it work. I intend to replace the actuator marked with the yellow arrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-103114.png
    Screenshot_20220103-103114.png
    696.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 92_68s[1]~2.jpg
    92_68s[1]~2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 13

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
His '98 won't blink the arrows for anything; '95-up uses dial controls instead of pushbuttons w/digital display.

Richard

FrankieD61

Reaction score
I've attached another picture. I found this one on Rockauto will it work. I intend to replace the actuator marked with the yellow arrow.
I hate to be a pain but any answer on this? I don't want to order the wrong part.