Strange clicking from passenger side dash area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Do you hear it more behind the center of dash or under the glove box, down by heater box? How long does it click for, since "a while" is pretty generic of a description. My guess with what you've said so far is it's one of the 2 blend door actuators on that side of the car.

It lasts for about 20 to 25 seconds. I comes from the glove box area.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Noticed my 96 does the same clicking, I guess it sounds more like a tap-tap. It only does it when I switch it to "cold" on the HVAC controls, vent and A/C. I've noticed when I press the "up" button on the driver's side window controls for a few seconds, it will click more.

FrankieD61

Reaction score
So, I found the broken actuator. It was on the passenger side, near the blower motor. Which actuator is that just so I know? I took it apart cleaned it (it was full of gunk and old grease), and now it works and doesn't click. The only other issue is the hot and cold blend button (for lack of a better term) doesn't work on the control panel; all of the little arrows just blink. I thought this was due to the actuator being broke, but i guess not.. any suggestions?

FrankieD61

Reaction score
I also noticed I don't get the best heat and the AC doesn't blow cold. I don't know if that means anything. I just figured I'd mention it.

Also, Happy New Year to all!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I found the broken actuator. It was on the passenger side, near the blower motor. Which actuator is that just so I know? I took it apart cleaned it (it was full of gunk and old grease), and now it works and doesn't click. The only other issue is the hot and cold blend button (for lack of a better term) doesn't work on the control panel; all of the little arrows just blink. I thought this was due to the actuator being broke, but i guess not.. any suggestions?

The one behind the blower motor is recirc. And one behind radio is blend (hot/cold) and flashing is blend door actuator issue or possibly wiring

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had the clicking for several seconds after turning off heat. Unplugged it, no more clicking, and everything still works good. The recirculation setting may not work, but don't miss it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The one behind the blower motor is recirc. And one behind radio is blend (hot/cold) and flashing is blend door actuator issue or possibly wiring
What he said ^^

The one for the temp is closer to the middle of the HVAC box, or in other words, about in between the center vents and glovebox opening on the 88-94 dash. They don't go bad often but usually the blinking arrows on the temperature control do indicate a bad actuator.

In this pic (my old '92) it's the one with the yellow and black sticker, can't miss it in the pic; yours may or may not have the sticker - just use the pics as a reference for location.

You must be registered for see images attach

Still see the sticker peeking out with the dash in place?

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Scottpro

Reaction score
Had this in my kid’s 95. The thing is, you have to pull the dash if you want to do it right. If you can afford it, by all three motors—and a heater core while you’re at it. Replace everything, including old crusty weatherstripping around the air boxes. Seal that dash back up and let it roll for another 20+ years.