Stranded

• Thread starter kenneth j hanawalt
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Always carry a spare icm and a spare coil.
And some heat paste compound.
And the tools to replace them.
They never barf in the driveway.
GM designed them so they only fail in the dead of winter after the sun is down and its raining.
You also have to be at least 60 miles from home and 5 minutes after the parts stores close.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANY time the ignition module fails...the ignition coil is suspect and should be tested.

Verify proper primary and secondary winding resistances by connecting an ohmmeter. Primary resistance should be about 1/2 (0.5) ohm. I don't remember secondary resistance off hand.

Infinite resistance from primary or secondary to ground. While you have the ohmmeter out, might as well verify the coil wire, too.

IF (big IF) the coil passes the three resistance tests, THEN you need to check spark output using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions. Crank the engine with the spark-tester connected to ground. The coil must RELIABLY fire the spark tester. If it doesn't fire the tester--or fires it once in a while--the coil is junk EVEN IF IT PASSED THE RESISTANCE TESTS.

I prefer the kind of spark tester that looks like a spark plug with no ground electrode, and an alligator clamp welded to the side. The HEI version has a recessed center electrode so the gap is bigger--requires higher voltage to fire.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...ywords=Spark+tester+HEI&qid=1604912179&sr=8-4

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the ignition module off and took it to my friendly Advance Auto store. They tested it and it failed every test. It appeared that this is an original module. At least it was an AC Delco.

I purchased a BWD brand. It has a limited lifetime warranty. They would have to order the AC Delco and it would be Tuesday before it gets here. I would be out a vehicle if I waited. Our car gets driven by my wife and we have way different work schedules so that was a choice I made. We'll see if it was a poor choice or not.....

Ken
Poor choice. Order the ACDelco one now before that one leaves you, or worse your wife! stranded.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Always carry a spare icm and a spare coil.
And some heat paste compound.
And the tools to replace them.
They never barf in the driveway.
GM designed them so they only fail in the dead of winter after the sun is down and its raining.
You also have to be at least 60 miles from home and 5 minutes after the parts stores close.
Hah I had the opposite problem. Mine always died when it was 100+*F

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ANY time the ignition module fails...the ignition coil is suspect and should be tested.

Verify proper primary and secondary winding resistances by connecting an ohmmeter. Primary resistance should be about 1/2 (0.5) ohm. I don't remember secondary resistance off hand.

Infinite resistance from primary or secondary to ground. While you have the ohmmeter out, might as well verify the coil wire, too.

IF (big IF) the coil passes the three resistance tests, THEN you need to check spark output using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions. Crank the engine with the spark-tester connected to ground. The coil must RELIABLY fire the spark tester. If it doesn't fire the tester--or fires it once in a while--the coil is junk EVEN IF IT PASSED THE RESISTANCE TESTS.

I prefer the kind of spark tester that looks like a spark plug with no ground electrode, and an alligator clamp welded to the side. The HEI version has a recessed center electrode so the gap is bigger--requires higher voltage to fire.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...ywords=Spark+tester+HEI&qid=1604912179&sr=8-4
Hmm. I guess Ill have to check mine. I was always under the impression that it either works or it doesnt.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that it either works or it doesnt.
I had an almost new Pertronix Flame Thrower coil go bad but the engine still ran, just had a stumble until I sprayed the coil with water and it almost died. It probably took out my same age (<2000 miles) Spectra Premium ICM. Same thing, it still ran but, when cruising, once warmed up, at ~2,000 RPM the engine would surge from false pulses sent to the ECM. Got an AC Delco ADO-1984A ICM, and tried an Accel 140011 coil for sh*ts and giggles. Been fine for over 6000 miles now.