Stock motor cam recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all. I actually have a 2001 s10 but it has a 350 out of 1998 chevy so I thought I'd ask here. If it means anything I have also owned a 98 chevy truck for 17 years now. My question is I want to put a can in my engine but I know very little about cams and all that and I was looking for a cam that would work with the stock heads and valves. I have a stock rebuilt motor out of a 1998 chevy truck. I have hptuners and am fairly good with tuning so I should be good to tune it too.

Thanks guys!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would call Lunati or Comp Cams, or whomever you want to buy from and ask them. Tell them your application and they'll know which of their cams suits you best. I put unported Vortec heads on a TBI block, but I upgraded to LS2/LS6 valvesprings and umbrella valve seals so I could run up to .530" lift. When I called Lunati about the cam I'd selected, they told me it was way out of line with what I wanted and gave me a different part number that still had over .500" lift, but with a more suitable duration and LSA. I'm really happy with it.

I really like the information shared on this forum, but I'd trust the guy at Lunati before I'd trust internet experience. Except on my budget engine - I blindly bought a cheap cam for it. We'll see how that goes.

Reaction score
Personally, I would call Lunati or Comp Cams, or whomever you want to buy from and ask them. Tell them your application and they'll know which of their cams suits you best. I put unported Vortec heads on a TBI block, but I upgraded to LS2/LS6 valvesprings and umbrella valve seals so I could run up to .530" lift. When I called Lunati about the cam I'd selected, they told me it was way out of line with what I wanted and gave me a different part number that still had over .500" lift, but with a more suitable duration and LSA. I'm really happy with it.

I really like the information shared on this forum, but I'd trust the guy at Lunati before I'd trust internet experience. Except on my budget engine - I blindly bought a cheap cam for it. We'll see how that goes.

I will definitely do this as well. Thank you

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all. I actually have a 2001 s10 but it has a 350 out of 1998 chevy so I thought I'd ask here. If it means anything I have also owned a 98 chevy truck for 17 years now. My question is I want to put a can in my engine but I know very little about cams and all that and I was looking for a cam that would work with the stock heads and valves. I have a stock rebuilt motor out of a 1998 chevy truck. I have hptuners and am fairly good with tuning so I should be good to tune it too.

Thanks guys!
XM270HR would be a strong runner in that Vortec in a S10.