"stock looking" engine upgrade for 95 burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, in California they look under the hood. Probably would go with the Vortec engine and TBI manifold. Makes the most sense, I get the roller cam, the better engine, but it still looks 100% stock.

I thought that you were after stealth not the CA air gestapo. I wasn't just yanking your chain. The last I heard, if you do a cali legal swap it must be from the same year vehicle or newer and it must have all emissions related to the newer engine. I am at the point with the small block that I was at with carburetors. Why run the old, inefficient technology when I can have power, mpg and a cleaner burning engine? I have one small block 383 left for a personal project and that is only because I have so much money into it. For the same cost I could have had a much better platform and even more power.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For the same cost I could have had a much better platform and even more power.

Yeah...I'm considering what's next for the engine on the black '94; at almost 180K it's starting to make me think about it. A few years ago my instant reaction would be, stuff a big block in it, or at minimum a 383 stroker, maybe something stupid like an 8.1 swap from a medium duty or a 2001-2002 3500HD.

These days I find myself seriously considering an LS swap, but not the run of the mill 5.3 everyone tends to do. If I'm gonna go to the trouble it's gonna get a 6.0 and likely cammed and tuned, along with other goodies to make it interesting. The 5.3 (or even 4.8) of course is the way to go for someone budget-minded.

Guess it's worth mentioning this kinda puts my paint/body plans further behind. :(

Richard

mistaake

Reaction score
I haven't done a ton of research into it but I thought that the only engine swaps I could do were the same or newer year engine from the same type of vehicle with all stock emmissions, in this case they didn't have other engine options for half ton GMT400 Suburbans. Assuming the Suburban originally came with a 5.7L V8 I'm assuming I would have to do a 5.3L V8 from a later Suburban? Or could I do a 4.8L (from later Silverado/Sierra) or 6.0 (optionally available in later Suburbans)?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a massive pain in the @$$ I guess a Vortec 350 with TBI Manifold is the way to go.
That's why I suggested it. It's easy enough to do in a weekend and there is plenty of info on it. You could go with a 383 vortec but you may run into running issues without a better pcm and fuel system, which you are limited on since you need to retain the tbi and emissions.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a massive pain in the @$$ I guess a Vortec 350 with TBI Manifold is the way to go.

I would believe that if you swapped a 96+ Vortec in there that you would have to have 96+ emissions as well. Also fyi that gmpp intake doesn't have the EO number so it isn't certified in California.

mistaake

Reaction score
I would believe that if you swapped a 96+ Vortec in there that you would have to have 96+ emissions as well. Also fyi that gmpp intake doesn't have the EO number so it isn't certified in California.

Crap - you're right. But would they notice? Probably... GRRR I hate California. Yet I still live here...

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They probably wouldn't notice the manifold, but they would notice the missing EGR valve. Or at least the computer would. You could glue one to the side of the manifold, and turn it off in the tune. If you ran a bunch of racing gas during the smog check, you'd probably squeeze by.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crap - you're right. But would they notice? Probably... GRRR I hate California. Yet I still live here...

As I recall a smog referee has access to a database that contains all of the information on what was stock to a specific vehicle including pictures. I wouldn't risk it.