"stock looking" engine upgrade for 95 burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
5.7L TBI engine... Don't want to do a swap yet but should the engine ever go kaput (over 175k miles on it now) I'd like to upgrade to something newer (roller cam instead of flat tappet cam for example) but retain stock look and emssions so it passes smog. that means no ls swap, cummins, or duramax :'( any suggestions?

Last edited:

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec motor with vortec to tbi intake manifold and run the tbi with your existing electronics. Should get you some noticeable performance and possibly some mpg increase. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference just from looking at it and it'll smog with flying colors.

mistaake

Reaction score
So something like this? Had no idea this existing but seems like a pretty genius product. I went on Summit and looked at GMPP crate engines but honestly I have no idea which one is the correct one?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12496821K/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Would I have to stick with a Vortec engine or could I do a 383? Ridiculously expensive but would be wild in the old burb!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499101

Then again an L31 is much more affordable :D
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12530282/overview/

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just swapped Vortec heads on to my TBI motor and put an LT1 roller cam in it. Did the ultimate TBI mods with a salad bowl and ditched my clutch fan for electric ones. Running shorty headers. Definitely have to tune it (I went EBL), but works really well.

mistaake

Reaction score
I just swapped Vortec heads on to my TBI motor and put an LT1 roller cam in it. Did the ultimate TBI mods with a salad bowl and ditched my clutch fan for electric ones. Running shorty headers. Definitely have to tune it (I went EBL), but works really well.

About how spendy was it?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it were me I would still go with a full vortec motor. The bottom ends are a little stronger and it's hard to beat the value of a crate motor. You could do the 383 but performance would be lost with the tbi and tuning could be difficult with your factory pcm.

mistaake

Reaction score
LS swap with the emissions. It can look factory or you can keep the hood closed.

Um, in California they look under the hood. Probably would go with the Vortec engine and TBI manifold. Makes the most sense, I get the roller cam, the better engine, but it still looks 100% stock.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About how spendy was it?

Found the the heads on Craigslist for $75, had them freshened and new springs put in for another $150. Used Edelbrock intake was $75 off of the forums. Cam and lifters and hardware was out of an LT1 I already had. Had the headers laying around. Bought a full Felpro gasket set off of eBay. Got a TBI adapter off of eBay too for $40. Fan setup is documented elsewhere on this site and all in it was about $75-80. TBI mods were free. Well, sorta. I got a rebuild kit while I was in there. I did a few other things while I was in there but not everyone would need to. EBL set me back $360. Tuning software is free.

If it were me I would still go with a full vortec motor. The bottom ends are a little stronger and it's hard to beat the value of a crate motor. You could do the 383 but performance would be lost with the tbi and tuning could be difficult with your factory pcm.

Having sold auto parts for over 20 years, and working in Chevy dealerships a few times, I really have to disagree that there's any strength difference between the motors. If you actually get a Vortec motor you're going to have to deal with the plastic timing cover- the only real difference.

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, in California they look under the hood. Probably would go with the Vortec engine and TBI manifold. Makes the most sense, I get the roller cam, the better engine, but it still looks 100% stock.

There has been plenty of emissions legal LS swaps done in California.