STILL chasing hard start....

Discussion in '96+ Vortec Performance + Computer Swaps' started by ztarleton, May 14, 2019.

1. ztarleton

ztarleton Newbie

Had posted a while back about what was assumed to be fuel pressure regulator issues.... turned into now having replaced fuel tank, pump (twice, did it myself then took it to a shop for same issue and they said pressure was low so had them do it 8 months after I did), rear fuel lines(that run along frame), filter, and the spider injector upgrade. Today after only having sat for a couple days, once again hard start. It's hard to reproduce and seems random- any ideas before I lose my mind?

edit: forgot to mention that there is also a ticking/tap noise during the long cranking, coming from the rear (sounds like from the tank area, but could be exhaust) that happens every second or two- not quickly

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. east302

east302 I'm Awesome

If you have a scanner, there are a couple of sensors that you can rule out (ECT and TPS) that can make for extended cranking.

The only time I ever had an issue with a coolant temp sensor was on a Bronco and only during hot starts. A temporary workaround for a faulty signal from the ECT is to hold the gas to the floor while cranking. That puts it in “clear flood” mode, temporarily stopping the injector pulses.

Otherwise, here’s what the General wrote about hard starts, maybe something will help...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ztarleton

ztarleton Newbie

Would checking those be dependent on actually catching it while it struggles, or do you think they'd show themselves any time? I haven't figured out how to replicate it quite yet... hit or miss after a few days.

Also, on occassion it seems to stumble a bit on startup- just for a couple seconds then smoothes out. Don't know if it's related or not...

4. Powerhour

Powerhour Newbie

My truck just had a hard start issue, it would just crank and crank and crank. I had good fuel pressure. The truck would eventually run but like a bag of hammers and smoking bad. Changed the coolant temp sensor and she fired right up and has ran great since!