Stereo system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Az93

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a sclb 93 chevy silverado that has 2 12in jl audio subs behind the seats in a sealed box. All speakers are stock(soon to be replaced!) an a fusion deck(it's a little old, going to e replaced soon as well) and the amp I think is a 200w off brand its a small amp. The guy I bought the truck from was a big redneck lol and idk if he Hooked it up wrong or if the amp is the problem or the box. Any suggestions to what I can do to beef up the system, I want it to hit really hard and shake the cab a little ha. I was thinking about filling it with the polyester fiber filling stuff and I'm gonna try a different amp from my buddy's system.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I would take out the subs and find what model they are and inspect them and the box. It sounds like the amp isn't big enough. I would check the wiring going to the amp also.

Depending on what amp you have you could put some good dash speakers on the amp instead of the radio.

Pics and model #s of everything would help.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you're already questioning the rednecks wiring skill, I'd do what H/A'd said, then pick up a C/L or an eBay headunit for cheap. ($100.00? Or less.) Some decent door speakers, which could be run off the deck, and a good amp to run those subs.
Don't use anything redneck installed. Rewire the whole system, properly, with a 4ga. wiring kit. It'll be much more reliable & efficient. Do it once. Do it right.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you pull the subs you can always throw a dmm on each coil to see if they are blown too

Az93

Reaction score
The amp is a old small 2ch x 200w anialator by earthquake ha-400. Speakers are 2 4x6s in te dashboard and the rear pilllars also have 2 4x6s all speakers are stock and blown. He is using monster cable too hook it up but I can get the subs apart I had to break the box ha he has it all nailed and glued together. Subs are impossible to get out ha. What if I add more space to the box make it like and inch bigger? And poly fill it, will that help make them hit a little deeper/harder?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33

Az93

Reaction score
I found a 1000w mono kenwood for $115, 2 Polk audio 4x6s $20 and I'm gonna check best buy for a new head unit and sell this one I have(fusion cd reciever) I want the aux cord and light changing one pioneer makes.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
You first need to find out the airspace those subs and if they need to be in a sealed or ported box, then you need to build a box with the proper airspace. Another problem with your "system" is the seat. If the back of the seat is crammed against the subs it wont sound good at all. The air moved and the soundwaves need to have a place to go. IMO most behind the seat truck boxes sound like crap.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
That original amp isn't even getting those JL's warm. Look into a new amp for those, and maybe move that amp up front to a set of 5.25" or 6.5" component set for the front channel.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Priority #1 : find out what the subwoofer manufacturer recommends for a box in both volume and construction (ie sealed, etc)

Then figure out if you can fit that volume in the space you have.

A sub doesn't care what shape a box is, but it does matter on the total volume and sealing the positive and negative pulses from each other.

FYI: most reg cabs don't really have enough space available to run more than a 10" shallow mount.

People run bigger, but they're not getting everything they can from their hardware.

The smallest and (usually) best performing box for the average joe is a sealed unit....

Once you figure that out, come back and we can talk about where to put it as well as how and what to build the box out of.

After that we can move on to the rest of the system....just like eating an elephant; one bite at a time......

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
10" slim line. Fits under the seat. In this configuration, it was under the pass. seat. My dog didn't like it. Added some 3/4" legs & turned it into downfiring sub under the driver seat. Two of these in a reg. cab would pump pretty good!
I'm using a 400w Alpine mono amp for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Probably have a bit too much power going to it, but I just turn the gain down.
$100.00 off of C/L, with some POS amp that I sold for $50.00. The box I built.