Steering wheel play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 98 K1500. Ive had it since 2000. It’s has the torsion bars lifted maybe an 1” with 285s on it. The powers steering pump has been recently replaced.
Since I’ve had this truck, the steering gear box has been replaced 3 times. The steering wheel has an unusual amount of play in it. It’s been that way for a while. Even before changing out the power steering pump. Any ideas as to why my steering wheel has so much play in it? At times it’s more work to try and keep the truck driving in a straight line cause of the play. It does not have any alignment issues. Just a sloppy steering wheel. This truck doesn’t go off road either.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If all the frontend parts are good, its most likely the rag joint. This is the rubber disc that connects the steering box to the steering shaft. Here is a pic of mine after I replaced it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all the frontend parts are good, its most likely the rag joint. This is the rubber disc that connects the steering box to the steering shaft. Here is a pic of mine after I replaced it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you. I’ll take a look at it. Also what made you change that out?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As alluded to, but not specifically stated:

FIRST verify that all the suspension/steering components are in good condition: Ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, center link, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, etc.

THEN look at the rag joint. COMMON failure item.

Wouldn't hurt to verify the steering column shafts, too. The '95 or '96 and newer have an extra joint in them that the older trucks don't.

And of course, not enough positive caster can make the truck wander, too. As can problems at the rear axle.

93 GT

Reaction score
A late 80's, early 90's Jeep Cherokee steering shaft will swap in plug and play. It deleted the rag joint all together.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A late 80's, early 90's Jeep Cherokee steering shaft will swap in plug and play. It deleted the rag joint all together.
Yes, but the 1995 up GMT400s have an extra steering shaft, that the pre 95s dont. With this extra shaft, the steering shaft becomes out of align when turning the steering wheel, as the shaft rotates. This can and does cause all kind of problems it a U joint is installed on 1995 up trucks.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but the 1995 up GMT400s have an extra steering shaft, that the pre 95s dont. With this extra shaft, the steering shaft becomes out of align when turning the steering wheel, as the shaft rotates. This can and does cause all kind of problems it a U joint is installed on 1995 up trucks.
Thought this was only 1997+ but I may be wrong about the 95/96 model

Normand

Reaction score
It’s time to replace those lower and upper arm bushings
My truck is a 98 K1500. Ive had it since 2000. It’s has the torsion bars lifted maybe an 1” with 285s on it. The powers steering pump has been recently replaced.
Since I’ve had this truck, the steering gear box has been replaced 3 times. The steering wheel has an unusual amount of play in it. It’s been that way for a while. Even before changing out the power steering pump. Any ideas as to why my steering wheel has so much play in it? At times it’s more work to try and keep the truck driving in a straight line cause of the play. It does not have any alignment issues. Just a sloppy steering wheel. This truck doesn’t go off road either.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

It’s maybe time to have a close look at the upper and lower arm bushings !

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thought this was only 1997+ but I may be wrong about the 95/96 model
The dash changed in 95, and 95 is the oddball year. TBI engine but vortec style interior. IDK what all is off on the 95 but the steering wheel and steering column is the same from 95 up Im almost sure. 95 is also the only year with the dash that has no passengers air bag only. 96 up, had the no passengers air bag as an option, and then it was just a pocket with out an air bag. 95 dash had no place for a passengers air bag. What all else is different in the 95s Im not sure.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dash changed in 95, and 95 is the oddball year. TBI engine but vortec style interior. IDK what all is off on the 95 but the steering wheel and steering column is the same from 95 up Im almost sure. 95 is also the only year with the dash that has no passengers air bag only. 96 up, had the no passengers air bag as an option, and then it was just a pocket with out an air bag. 95 dash had no place for a passengers air bag. What all else is different in the 95s Im not sure.
The 95 and 96 dash are the same, you're a year off. 96 was still a year that passenger airbags were not required in a full sized truck. 97 and up have passenger airbags, but the 2500+ trucks had an option to not have airbags from what I understand.