steering shaft 26015779

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't want to put this in the Jeep steering shaft mod thread, but there is where this thread has originated. I had done the Jeep steering mod on my '89 Cheyenne but had reservations on its' retention of the steering column. When I posed that on that thread, Mr. Schurkey eloquently stated that the whole idea wasn't a good one ("Nucking Futs"). This gave me pause, to rethink the swap. So, using his swap with a GM shaft for a 3500 truck (GM 26015779), I was able to locate and purchase said shaft. They are readily available, BTW, but not through GM. Anyways, they do fit a 2wd truck, even though, when compressed, they are about an inch longer. Also, after comparing the two shafts, both upper halves (original and 26015779) share the same shaft dimensions, with the exception of length (the original is about 3" shorter). The new shaft still has to be extended for attachment, so there is still a collapse feature. Here's a couple of pics

Attachments

• DSCN0632.JPG
    DSCN0632.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0633.JPG
    DSCN0633.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 76

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
God bless you. You gave me a giggle.

I'll admit that "Mr. Schurkey" sounds like a hairdresser. But I guess that's more my problem than yours.

I bought my steering shaft through the local AC-Delco distributor. They told me it was discontinued but they'd try to find one. When it showed up, the box was tagged with a GM Dealership sticker, so they found one in a dealership parts department, and bought it from them...then sold it to me. The longer bolt for the steering box end came from a GM dealership directly--about $5.

As said in the other thread, Dorman sells an aftermarket replacement for that shaft, but of course it's Chinese.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the shaft from CARiD.com ($154.14, 9 o/h), also available from StockWiseAuto.co ($147.29, 5 o/h). The bolt 11610555 I got from GMPARTSDIRECT.com ($2.51). The shaft was in my hands 2 days after the order was placed. Thank you, Sir, for your knowledge, and for having been-there-done that