Steering input shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the old steering shaft (lower shaft in engine bay) off. Got a new borgeson to replace the old one (figured out the upper is trashed to while I was in there, lots of play).

New ujoint doesn't set all the way down because of this piece sticking out of the input shaft, can this be cut off? A short google search says... yes.. but its not very reassuring.

(Pic from google, but its the same)

Attachments

• PXL_20210721_213704977.jpg
    PXL_20210721_213704977.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 17

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no answers here, only more questions.

Does anybody know the difference between the Saginaw RV, G, P, ST, and M versus Saginaw TC steering boxes? I thought one had that stub, and the other didn't, but looking in my 1988 manual they both have it.

On early GMT400s is there any difference in which boxes are on half-tons versus one-tons? All three of my steering boxes have that stub.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the old steering shaft (lower shaft in engine bay) off. Got a new borgeson to replace the old one (figured out the upper is trashed to while I was in there, lots of play).

New ujoint doesn't set all the way down because of this piece sticking out of the input shaft, can this be cut off? A short google search says... yes.. but its not very reassuring.

(Pic from google, but its the same)
Yes it can,The 83 Saginaw box my 1500 didn't have it,When i swapped to a 84 Saginaw off a 2500/3500,it was in the way of the upgrade u-joint so i cut it off.