Cunningham Machine Upper/Lower Steering Shafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Cunningham Machine I ordered the Cunningham lower a while back for my ‘99 K1500 Classic and it’s great, however, I’m trying to install the Cunningham upper now but I’ll need to turn steering wheel 90 degrees to insert the upper into the steering shaft at the steering wheel. Website states that this could happen if you don’t have the Cunningham lower…but I do!!
Is this normal or did I get one with the incorrect orientation? The Cunningham upper is horizontal on one end and vertical on the other end. Can I install like this?

I’ll wait to hear back from you guys before continuing install. Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Below is the original upper that came out…same orientation on both ends unlike the Cunningham.

Last edited:

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have installed the lower shaft with the set screw up and down,could do it sideways so it goes in correctly,

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A picture is a thousand words,This is what i mean by up and down setting of the set screw This is my old stock shaft with flaming river spline u-joint.

I personally have the lower Cunningham shaft for a 3" body lift and a stock upper u-joint on my Tahoe with the stock Intermediate shaft

Attachments

• 83 saginaw steering half ton box.jpg
    83 saginaw steering half ton box.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 49
  • straight.jpg
    straight.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 47
  • shaft straight.jpg
    shaft straight.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 48
  • sideways shaft.jpg
    sideways shaft.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 48
  • sideways.jpg
    sideways.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 49

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the stock u-joint version that comes on some of the gmc/chevy's so you can see the orientation as well

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220630_175015.jpg
    20220630_175015.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 43

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A picture is a thousand words,This is what i mean by up and down setting of the set screw This is my old stock shaft with flaming river spline u-joint.

I personally have the lower Cunningham shaft for a 3" body lift and a stock upper u-joint on my Tahoe with the stock Intermediate shaft
Here is the stock u-joint version that comes on some of the gmc/chevy's so you can see the orientation as well

I really appreciate it. Cunningham Machine ended up responding as well through Facebook as well. Issue solved. Thx again!

Last edited: