Steering box info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My steering box has some slop that I'd like to eliminate. It's absolutely in the box. I read that is a Saginaw 800 series, I believe, and that it is a very common steering box.
I checked my local junkyard and couldn't find an exact replacement. All the gmt400 series trucks had worn out boxes. I read about a Durango and even a Grand Cherokee box being the same but the ones I saw were very different. I'd like to upgrade to a faster ratio if possible as well.
I bought a box for a Jeep Wrangler I had about two years ago from advance Auto parts, and it was worse than my original box. This gives me no confidence in Auto parts store rebuilds.
I found a few places selling performance ratio boxes but $400-$550 is just too much to spend on this.
I watched some videos about rebuilding it myself and would do it myself- but that still won't get me a quicker ratio.
Does anyone know what internals to use? It MUST be possible, or these shops wouldn't offer it.... Is our box a Saginaw 800? Anyone know any good donor vehicles?
Advice please???

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
My 1996 C1500 has a Saginaw 800. I ended up just buying the seal and bearing kits and rebuilt the box. The hardware wasn't really worn after 20 yrs, just seals and a little adjusting needed.

I had thought about modifying the ratio and started hunting information for parts but ended up just forgetting it. Maybe this might help? Two sites I saved in my search are listed below, because they had some good charts to show which cars had the quick ratio boxes.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=4

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I had a box made-up by a local rebuilder. My choice of ratio. Had it built as per the factory Q/R.
Same price as any other rebuild. ...and, if there's any probs down the road, he's local. No sending away of the box & then waiting.