Starter Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92C1500

Reaction score
I'm having troubles with what I believe to be the starter. I had similar problems before and replaced the starter and the truck started stronger than it ever did once I replaced it. Well that only lasted for about a week of the real strong starts ( I replaced it about 3 months ago). Then it started to feel as if it was getting weak again like it was prior to replacing it the first time when it finally just quit working. I thought possibly it was the battery this morning when I went to start it to go to work, but jumper cables did nothing and a voltage tester showed the battery wasnt' dead. Not to mention it did the clickity click click just like it did when the starter had problems before. I find it hard to believe that a starter can go bad in 3 months. I've done a google search and it sounds like a relatively common issue. My vehicle is a 92 C1500 350 TBI NV3500 5 speed 2WD. Figured I'd ask the experts to see if they also have had this problem and what they have done to fix this issue. Any advice would be appreciated!

redblazerx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sometimes a couple of smacks with a hammer will get the brushes in the starter loose and it may start up for a few more times. I drove my truck for 3 months with a bad starter, about 1 out of 15-20 starts I would have to smack it with a hammer.

92C1500

Reaction score
sometimes a couple of smacks with a hammer will get the brushes in the starter loose and it may start up for a few more times. I drove my truck for 3 months with a bad starter, about 1 out of 15-20 starts I would have to smack it with a hammer.
Haha, I know the hammer trick. Got one sitting in the truck door because I had to do it so often. But I'm looking for more of a permanent fix, or anything else that could be causing this problem with the starters. I just don't see how one could go bad after 3 months. Has anyone else had this problem where they have went through multiple starters?

redblazerx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a starter from advance and a month later it wend bad, got that one warrantied and have had no problems since.

92C1500

Reaction score
I have mine warrantied too that I got from autozone. I mean, I'm going to have to take it out and replace it. Just hoping to not have this issue again.

92C1500

Reaction score
I have mine warrantied too that I got from autozone. I mean, I'm going to have to take it out and replace it. Just hoping to not have this issue again.
Found the problem.. Bad ground connection. Problem solved!