Starter issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay updates: Starter turns over now and kicks out, but the starter is far too away from my flywheel. It just spins next to it, so (i think) i have to shim the bracket that holds up the starter in the back ( which is a bent piece of metal from the PO) out so it kicks the starter teeth closer to flywheel, ive got it close enough to where the teeth touch the flywheel. Opinions?

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thing runs amazing, this is very unfortunate. Im talking to machine shops to see if someone can rig something up. It has 169k on the block and trans. 5spd manual.

Ill get some pics in sometime this week. Its nuts how it even worked at all. Yes by the way you are picturing it right, Inside bolt has been drilled and tapped for a 9/16 bolt. And the outside is stock thickness so like a 3/8 rod or whatever. its a 6" bolt going up to the exhaust, the problem with the deal is the block mount broke towards the front of the motor, so when the starter cranks it has so much torque that it pops the rod out of the hole, causing the teeth to completely miss the flywheel. So some crazy rocketry to get a bracket goin on the back side of the starter ( towards the front of the truck) to hold the beasty starter in place. If i have to get a new block im going to be pissed.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
A decent machine shop can weld a new ear on and you would be good as new. This happened a lot with the Chrysler TII and TIII turbo 4 bangers. Since the TIII was the only 4 cylinder block that was DIS ready that Chrysler made we had to fix them. Can't buy new ones, or even used ones, anymore. Only made around 1500 Spirit R/T cars in 91 and 92 and only about 2000 Daytona Iroc R/T cars between 91-93. Nothing else ever had it. So you have 3500 cars that were put on the road 20 years ago and only 1000 replacement NOS blocks. Since they were factory high boost turbo cars, the blocks were abused and many, if not most, of all TIII blocks are forever lost. Even harder to find on those cars is the factory Lotus DOHC 16v all aluminum super high flow heads. Warped/cracked TIII heads still go for a grand.

Anyway, point is if you have a good shop that is competent with a welder and mill you can have yours fixed without pulling it from the truck.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yess, finally found a shop, taking it in monday to get a quote. Thanks Tempted made me feel better about the situation.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is where it broke:
You must be registered for see images

Different angle:

Here's the beast, 96 k2500 Z71 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4" off turbo to 5" stacks.

Attachments

• img20120126134100.jpg
    img20120126134100.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20120124_154544.jpg
    IMG_20120124_154544.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Awesome. Shouldn't run too much, $150 or so should be max. Love the truck. It still bothers me to no end that the 2500 SRW trucks had a wider front end than rear. Fronts are about an inch out farther than the rears.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! i love the truck too thats why im jumping through hoops for it. Really? my tires are bald on the back maybe thats why?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Nah its how they all are. Came new that way. First time I realized it I thought someone swapped in an older axle.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow weird never saw that. Wonder why that is lol

So the only shop around here that can fix it is in milwaukee a ways away from me. Otherwise my dads buddy can most likely fix it at his shop.

Go to the less known shop or the big shop thats dealt with this issue a lot?

Last edited: