Starter issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i got my truck by trading my old truck to my buddy, Who didnt realize how bad it is to have a diesel in winter, and wanted an easier ride. Well my starter took a shifter after we traded. Turns out the person before us had starter issues, broke off the outter part of the block where the starter bolts to, and rigged up some crazy system to hold it up, Well it works and we got it in the same place it was before, with the new starter. I had to drill out the starter to accept th huge ass starter bolts.

You must be registered for see images

Well we got the pretty new autozone starter in, Now instead of the brondix grinding on the flywheel, this thing just spins, freely without moving out to the flywheel i think.

What do you guys think? Bad starter or did a not hookup the electrical correctly? Causing the starter to spin but not kick out?

Btw im pretty sure this starter is the same as 350's in shape, size, and wiring, so dont be afraid to step in.

Thanks, Kyle.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Either that or missing teeth on the flexplate,

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Teeth on flywheel look good yet, no chips! So im guessing solenoid too. Im going to mess with the solenoid in a bit. Is there a possibility i hooked it up so the solenoid isnt working but the starter is spinning?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Is the power wire from the solenoid looped to the back of the starter?

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sure what you mean. This is what my starter looks like. The smaller rod was loose on my new starter so i put a nut on it so it wouldnt fall into the solenoid cause i was having trouble with that, im not sure if thats a sign that the start could be damaged?

You must be registered for see images attach

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I alway's bench test a starter before installing it, I don't care if it's new, reman'd, rebuilt, etc. You just never know.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you took the main cable off and taped up the end, then turned the key to start, with the battery connected. Would the solenoid click?