starter bolt length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spitfirespl

Reaction score
does anyone know the length of the bolts that holds the starter to the engine/trans? 94 sierra 305 v8. the one i have seems to be too long (M8 X1.5 X13mm)and it wont hold the starter snug, i tried using washers to take up some length but still doesn't seem to want to snug up. the other bolt has been snapped off and i just need to get it to the gf's garage so i can get it up on jack stands and fix it right.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Washers - DANGER...that can let the starter walk around on the block, which can go really bad, really quick. Busted starter housing, broken bolts (which I see you already experienced), and you can even damage the block and turn it into junk.

It sounds like you've got the mini (gear reduction) starter and you have the somewhat longer bolts that are for the full and "mid" sized starters.

Here's what you need for the mini - the bolts are about 4 and 5/16" long, if you can score some originals that would be best, but otherwise the Dormans are OK and most auto parts stores should have them. This size used to be hard to find in stock but they've become a lot more common.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

spitfirespl

Reaction score
is there any identifying markings on it know know for sure if its a mini or not?

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save yourself the trouble and use oem bolts. The dorman are weak. I have had to remove 3 broken bolts from my block... Also do not use any kind of washer because the starter will walk and your starter will not properly mesh with your flywheel and will eat it up. Then your removing a trans.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also, they are not regular bolts. you need the knurled section on the bolt body.

spitfirespl

Reaction score
yeah the one i bought is a starter bolt as it has the nurled section on it, just its too long, and the oem one which came out of the original starter is 5 mm shorter then the new one i bought and still doesnt tighten up like it should. also does anyone know what the torque spec it on those bolts?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the original one that is the correct length won't tighten up, most likely the threads in the block are damaged. :(

Mini starter is pretty easy to identify, it's the one that isn't a freaking ball buster to hold up under the truck with one hand. Looks like this (though most don't have the heat shield attached) -

Fullsize starter is a ****** monster. These are the ones that use the longer bolts.

The pictures also show you how a decent amount of the knurled area is exposed from the starter body, because it extends into the hole in the block, before the threads in the bolt hole start.

Richard

spitfirespl

Reaction score
If the original one that is the correct length won't tighten up, most likely the threads in the block are damaged. :(

Mini starter is pretty easy to identify, it's the one that isn't a freaking ball buster to hold up under the truck with one hand. Looks like this (though most don't have the heat shield attached) -

Fullsize starter is a ****** monster. These are the ones that use the longer bolts.

The pictures also show you how a decent amount of the knurled area is exposed from the starter body, because it extends into the hole in the block, before the threads in the bolt hole start.

Richard

the bolt does tighten up just the head doesnt snug up against the starter to keep it from moving around.......

ok just checked the starter and its def the bigger starter. i just measured the factory bolt and its just a hair over 4-5/16th of an inch and the new one i bought is 4-7/9th of an inch, so its about 1/8th longer. im gonna try the factory one again and get my torque ratchet on it and torque it to spec and see what happeneds.

thanks for the help guys. i'm gonna work on it tomorrow night. i'll let ya know how it goes.