Start issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 5.0

Just did upper and lower intake gaskets and also upgraded injection system.

Now it seems like it's "hard to start" sometimes it hesitates other times it takes two times to start.

It never fails to start though just kinda weird since doing all the work. Once cranked it runs great...any thoughts?

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
On my 1999 5.7, after I shut off the engine the fuel pressure drops immediately/back to the tank via the supply line, probably because of a bad check valve at the fuel pump.

So now I cycle the ignition/key to the run (letting the fuel pump prime) position and then back off, then I prime again and start.

If I don't prime twice it would experience symptoms maybe similar/as you describe, long crank times, stumbles/hesitates briefly after starting, otherwise runs great.

Might want to check to see if your fuel pressure is gone (somewhere) after shutdown.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do.
May go ahead and do a fuel pump anyways...gonna have the bed off doing the drop kit.