Standard Long block and bigger cam or LS swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a few questions guys just need some help on which way to go. I know most will say swap right off the bat, not really what I’m looking hearSo my daily is a 98 Yukon 4wd 5.7 vortec. She runs good, has new heads well 2yrs old. She burns a lil over a quart of oil every two weeks. I’m not sure how many miles are on the motor, I know when I replaced the heads that there was still cross hatching in the cylinders, I’ve got about 293,000 miles on the body. I don’t like waiting for failure so I fix stuff before I get stranded. So next year I want to replace my engine. At first I was just thinking short block cuz I’ve got fairly new heads, but thinking a long block just to minimize the amount of work I’ll need to do. Just a few facts about my truck, she sees a lot of highway miles atleast 100 miles a day, highway and city. I don’t really care about gas mileage as I do dependability. I’ve got 285/75/17’s lifted and leveled about 2 1/2in. I don’t race other trucks, peel out or any of that. I do go camping up in Colorado every year and like running trails but not full on 4 wheelin. Pretty much everything is new except for the engine, I do know it’s got the updated spider and I put in a new Delphi fuel pump and heads 2years ago, otherwise she’s pretty much stock.

Question 1: Can I run an RV cam in a stock 5.7 vortec, without having to do any other mods like a tune etc? Should I run an RV cam at all?

Question 2: I’ve heard of the 0411 computer swap. My only problem with that is I haven’t heard if it will work with emissions testing. Here in Texas they hook their computer up to my computer, read the vin and what the engine is doing and pass it. If I do the 0411 how can I get my vin into the computer and will it pass inspection?

Question 3 LS swap. This one is harder because I use my truck for work and can’t afford to have it be down for an extended amount of time. My thought for this year was that I would get a $1500 Tahoe with an LS in it and drive it for work while doing a swap in my old girl, I missed that window this year. I really don’t want to do it that way because I might end up liking the new Tahoe more than my old girl lol. Doing the swap makes me nervous, well just the computer stuff and wiring. So maybe if anyone knows of a shop in the DFW area that can do CLEAN swaps please let me know, and by CLEAN I mean making it look close to stock or atleast not like a blind moron wired it up.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would benifit more from a tune than a cam or bolt ons. A new GM long block is generally a better price point than most remans.