Stall after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Got my trans rebuilt not the truck randomly stalls, its stalled about a dozen times in 200kms. usually at cruise it will stall, then restart on its own, just gives a good buck. or when coming to a stop, like under 20kph. not on accel (yet). seems pretty random and unrelated to shifting, temp, vibration, engine torquing, accessories turned on.ect only thing I really noticed, was when I had it stall about 5 times in 5min it was just after starting on a hilly road with an empty tank and a truck full of guys and golf clubs.

When it was rebuilt there was a broken wire found going to the trans that was repaired (dont know what it did or anything.. possibly something with the tcc lockup) and a new module put in (not sure if thats standard or not).
My cousin is a mechanic and he did the pull, sent it out for rebuild and put it back in. He changed the rear main seal, some u-joints, an oil change, and repaired an exhaust leak.

I have a bank1, sensor1 heater code thats new and a pretty leaky gas tank (slowly getting worse.. top half of the tank)

the truck seems to have less power than before the rebuild (rebuilt with shift kit and vette servos/other good things i'm unaware of.. the guy knows what hes doing ive been told)

Going to check my grounding tonight. any other suggestions guys?

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
only thing I really noticed, was when I had it stall about 5 times in 5min it was just after starting on a hilly road with an empty tank and a truck full of guys and golf clubs.

I would look at your fuel pump. Try changing your filter but most likely your pump is giving you the final warning that it is about to go out.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Thanks, I had wondered about that. I have a new filter that i'll put in, and i'll check the wiring and other pump connections. the only reason i'm thinking not pump related is that there were no issues at all before the trans swap, now there are.
I will look into the fuel pump.. it seems like all the power quits for a split second almost.. the guages on the dash go completely off.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its probably your power wire at the starter losing connection. That was probably removed during the trans job and not re-installed properly.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I'll check that too. would that not only be powered during starting though?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Depends on the year model of the truck. Is the truck in question the one in your signature? The older trucks power the cab off the hot post on the starter.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
I'll check that too. would that not only be powered during starting though?

Not always, I have seen where the vehicle still had good power for starting but lost connection while running. It only needs to be a little bit loose and/or grease or oiled covered.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yes, truck in the sig.. should have mentioned that. Cab is seperatly powered, I ran new/extra heavy guage ground wires and went over all the wiring I could get my hands on. no stalls yet (30kms)