Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
There's an Australian member here with an ex-ambulance with round headlights. I think I remember him mentioning what car used the same mounting. I've got it saved somewhere. Somewhere.

somewhere back in this thread i made some some posts about BMW quads i was pondering, had pics from ebay, was talkig about grills and such.....then Michael posted that picture from the other forum....i hope you can find them Doc.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well those pictures make the passenger side look a lot better than the driver's side, is it still the depo housing on the driver's side of those pictures?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
now here's where it got interesting......

battery voltage, truck off
You must be registered for see images attach

truck idling

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
yes....i used the DEPO assembly on the driver's side in to see the difference.....i wish it was an OEM housing, but............

Wow... so the Spyder glass headlamp unit has basically double the width in the hot spot or major part of the beam, with what appears to be great focus of the filament.

Of course, this is all subjective, and without instrumentation, all speculative to objective performance.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
with the truck idling these are at the bulb connector......

low side

high side

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Was the 13.2V with the relay harness? I would assume so, since I measured my voltage drop a few years ago and got close to 11V with factory wiring.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Wow... so the Spyder glass headlamp unit has basically double the width in the hot spot or major part of the beam, with what appears to be great focus of the filament.

Of course, this is all subjective, and without instrumentation, all speculative to objective performance.

calibrated eyeballs.......
the pictures are a bit different than what my eyes saw.....but it's close. they both actually have a nice pattern, but yes, the Spyder lamp is definitely cleaner.....it doesn't have the errant little beams straying out and up a tad.......it wasn't really captured on the phone.
i will find another wall to work with.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Was the 13.2V with the relay harness? I would assume so, since I measured my voltage drop a few years ago and got close to 11V with factory wiring.

no.....this is just a small test for comparison the way i got the truck......i was expecting lower somewhere in the 11's.......i'm VERY surprised......i'd like to know what's going INTO the switch.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The best way to measure voltage drop is to measure both the positive and ground conductors separately, with a volt ohm meter.

Add both figures together, and you will get the total voltage drop. Are you backprobing the connector with the headlamp lit?

Edit: I can see you are plugged into the harness connector in the second picture.

Best practice is with the lamps lit... backprobe the connection with a paperclip or tool made for this.