Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
The best way to measure voltage drop is to measure both the positive and ground conductors separately, with a volt ohm meter.

Add both figures together, and you will get the total voltage drop. Are you backprobing the connector with the headlamp lit?

Edit: I can see you are plugged into the harness connector in the second picture.

Best practice is with the lamps lit... backprobe the connection with a paperclip or tool made for this.

LOL....after i did this i remembered a post you made on how to do it correctly......that's a job to do in the morrow......i'm going to put in the other Spyder and "stab" into the connectors. that's why i bought this expensive little device, right?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
From just the figures you posted, you have a roughly 9% drop in voltage in one wire, the positive wire. Adding them together, if the ground also has a 9% drop would net 18% drop over your charging voltage.

14.4 x 0.82 - 11.808V, and that is in good agreement with what I got on my truck.

EDIT: Basically, about 75% brightness, compared to 12.8 volts at the headlamp when lit, more if 14.4V at the headlamps.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
the fact that that the switch and runs of wire gobbled up .8v(low) and 1.2v(high) shows a simple difference on it's own......we'll get definitive numbers tomorrow.......then after the harness is in we'll do the procedure once again to see what we gained.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Good. Now you are equipped to measure both the ground resistance and the resistance of the positive wire. What you were measuring ( with tester on battery negative ) was only the resistance in the positive wire.

You have to take the ground return path into consideration as well, and measure both with the headlamps lit.

This gives a much more accurate picture.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Good. Now you are equipped to measure both the ground resistance and the resistance of the positive wire. What you were measuring ( with tester on battery negative ) was only the resistance in the positive wire.

You have to take the ground return path into consideration as well, and measure both with the headlamps lit.

This gives a much more accurate picture.

i've learned a lot from you......you've thrown the stick, i spent days chasin the [email protected]

i did say electrical wasn't my strong suit.......but i can wire a house....LOL.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
i've learned a lot from you......you've thrown the stick, i spent days chasin the [email protected]

i did say electrical wasn't my strong suit.......but i can wire a house....LOL.

On old houses that had knob and tube, and / or 2 wire outlets, then someone tied in and put 3 wire outlets, gotta watch out for reversed hot - neutral bootleg ground outlets..... they can be deadly, and a 3 light tester will not pick up this dangerous condition.