Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I get almost every time I want to quote, I am using Firefox as my web browser and have add blockers installed. Some sites I have have visited have used a pop up and said if I want to view their site, disable my add blockers. Guess what I do, go back where I came from and figured I didn't need to view that page.

I wonder if something along those lines is giving me that message. I hit the "+Quote" button for your whole message and when I went to insert it, that is what I got. What is weird, the quote went somewhere, because I can still see the "-Quote" button now.

If I ever figure out the formatting this site uses, I won't need the quote buttons, or figure out how to "tag" someone so they will be notified... But until then, I'll be a little frustrated, but not enough to give up add blockers or switch web browsers.....

+quote, insert, blocker.........i don't speak Russian......i can put a little cartoon critter in a post! LOL

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
oh lookie....phototurd seemed to have fixed most of their problems..........and truth be told, i've not really complained all that much when i wasn't a paying member of their site.......i did expect better when it was $20+ a year

1) i understand how to use it.....that's a biggie
2) it's the first hosting site i ever heard of, been many years that i've had it.....when i came home from the resort, 2008
3) years ago i don't think they were so "overextended"....i bet if it was a pay site you'd get better service.......it SHOULD be paid for.

i am going to look for another place to store and share photos, but i HATE learning new things.....i don't like leaving my comfort zone, even when it's not too comfortable anymore......kinda like my marriages. i seem to like my EX-wives better anyhow. they like each other too, so they tell me.....ain't Facebag grand?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
maybe someone already said it but i just noticed.......the Anzo's and Spyders seem to have the EXACT same reflector design from what i can tell.......but i don't think the Anzo's have the dumfuck bulb lock setup.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're pretty much identical except for the lens material and bulb retainers from what I can see. The Anzos are a little tight getting the bulbs in initially, but once you jiggle them in there they seem to stay in place pretty well.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're pretty much identical except for the lens material and bulb retainers from what I can see. The Anzos are a little tight getting the bulbs in initially, but once you jiggle them in there they seem to stay in place pretty well.

The Spyders I got seem to be decent too on bulb fit, I wouldn't describe it as a tight fit but not feeling like they were going to fall out. EXCEPT for the last pair of Phillips bulbs I got from Amazon, one of them fit good and the other, I would say was / is a crappy fit. As I wrote about a few pages back, and even took a picture of what had to be done to keep the bulb in place.

I wonder how long that double density foam will retain its density? When it looses it, I will try another set of bulbs, but I'm not looking forward to that.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to ask, why don't the insert quote work, I always get a message of something like, ...something went wrong, can't find quote..... Am I the only one that get a message like that when I want to Quote something that someone said, Reply is the only thing that works for me. :think:

This is what I get almost every time I want to quote, I am using Firefox as my web browser and have add blockers installed. Some sites I have have visited have used a pop up and said if I want to view their site, disable my add blockers. Guess what I do, go back where I came from and figured I didn't need to view that page.

I wonder if something along those lines is giving me that message. I hit the "+Quote" button for your whole message and when I went to insert it, that is what I got. What is weird, the quote went somewhere, because I can still see the "-Quote" button now.

If I ever figure out the formatting this site uses, I won't need the quote buttons, or figure out how to "tag" someone so they will be notified... But until then, I'll be a little frustrated, but not enough to give up add blockers or switch web browsers.....

I had to try this with Opera web browser, the quote messages work just fine as I think this shows, shoot..... I like FiredFox because of the ad-blocker, not 100% sure but if I were to bet, I would blame that. :(:shrug::whymewhyme:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok...so i've been thinking on just what to do with the KC Daylighter buckets that i insist on keeping....i've spoke on a few things to do with them, but think i have an idea.....really inclement weather is a ****** to drive in....bright white(ish) headlights make that even worse....the closer to "blue" you get the more glare you get from rain, snow and fog...reflecting back at you in the driver's seat.

i did some snooping and came up with these Philips WeatherVision H4's.....it's a know fat that selective yellow light cuts through the murk a tad better than white, just look at France with the amber headlights through 1993......and i find it soothing to see with....so i'll be trying an experiment.

in the KC buckets i'll be mounting those Cibie 5 3/4" high/low H4 lenses.....with these 2900K bulbs.

they're made in the Philips plant located in Poland....55/65W H4's. i don't know when they stopped making them for general consumption, but they sell in the asian countries and i got them from a "speed shop" in California....yup, e-bay.

this will go on the list of thing to do.... gmachinz and i have briefly spoken on my next order...and a harness for these lamps is on of the things i want in that harness.......it will be stand alone.........i'm not sure on the fog lights i'll be using at this time.

here's a "reminder" pic of the Cibie e-code in an old KC housing(actually a Blazer, but same ****)

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
if you do the math...and Daniel Stern already did it....after filtering out the blues,greens and violets you still get around 980 lumens to the ground, much more than the blue bulbs that filter out the red, orange and yellow to get "blue/white" light......those only get around 800 lumes to the ground which is barely legal......

i'm optomistic it will be more than enough light to drive in the 40 mph range with, especially with an e-code lamp that doesn't throw light UP to bounce back at you.

well, it's gonna be my experiment for an auxiliary inclement weather headlight system......perhaps fog lights won't be necessary. we'll "see"

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
ok.....now for the pieces i've been waiting for.

i ordered some Cibie Oscar lights from Demon Tweeks in England......wonderful folks to deal with and a quick ship.....there's fogs, driving, spot and high/low beams available......i chose the H4 high/dip lenses just because. they were a few dollars more than a single use lamp, but thay can also be used as an auxiliary headlight system should the need arise......and i'll wager they work great with their convex lens.

they also have the provision for the Euro "city light" bulb setup.....a robust harness too.

with a nice data sheet included in the box

some know i bought these buckets for the Oscar SC driving and cornering lenses that Jackson sent me for testing.......and these are gorgeous too.