Speedometer too fast RESOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyZ71

Reaction score
My trucks speedometer read about 12-15mph too fast at 60mph it would read about 78. I checked every ground, wires, connection, replaced entire cluster with a 120mph unit and it still was the same with no resolve. I went to the junkyard and grabbed another gauge cluster out of a 98 suburban and turned on my phones gps and it is now 99% accurate. So if your trucks speedo is off the only solution is to replace the entire cluster. Its easy to swap your odometer into the new one.
Hope this helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Had this happen to my 98 when I first bought it. It would read about the same as yours. Replaced the cluster and worked like it should. It's odd, I wonder why these clusters do that.

CodyZ71

Reaction score
Had this happen to my 98 when I first bought it. It would read about the same as yours. Replaced the cluster and worked like it should. It's odd, I wonder why these clusters do that.

I would like to know as well, it has to be something on the board itself because on my 120mph cluster I even replaced the aircore motor with a NOS GM one. On my original one I am not entirely sure when it failed, I did notice over the years I started complaining of people passing me while I was doing 65mph in a 55.. so I guess I was going about 48 lol
I've owned the truck over 16 years and it was always kept up above average so idk