Radiator Oil Cooler Adapter Fitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been a year since the last entry here. How did things turn out?

I have a '95 Gvan with the oil cooler in the radiator and a damaged factory upper oil cooler hard line that I believe has similar M20x1.5 fittings at the radiator. The upper hard line was discontinued by GM and I have not been able to find a used one at salvage yards so I have been contemplating different replacement options. I ordered a pair of new Delco lower hard lines that have the same fitting at the radiator and 1/2" OD aluminum tubing so I could have an extra one to cannibalize for the fittings and possibly several inches of the hard line that has the male O-ring tube end (whatever they are called) but using that would likely require a compression fitting and I'm not sure that's the route I want to go.
The fitting manufacturers basically all scoffed this fitting off as being irrelevant.

I ended up using oil cooler lines for a GMT400 Vortec 350 and the maching quick disconnect on the aftermarket Hayden oil cooler adapter housing on the block on my 87 G20 with a L31 swapped into it. Been leak free thus far. The Hayden adapter had larger threads than the OE fitting, but a pair of brass pipe threaded bushings reaolved that issue.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are still trying to experiment with different size fittings?
If some would make this fitting it would be great. As such I have only found it available in 18 mm, not 20 mm yet. With a -8 on the other end.
You must be registered for see images attach

Zayne8

Reaction score
The fitting manufacturers basically all scoffed this fitting off as being irrelevant.

I ended up using oil cooler lines for a GMT400 Vortec 350 and the maching quick disconnect on the aftermarket Hayden oil cooler adapter housing on the block on my 87 G20 with a L31 swapped into it. Been leak free thus far. The Hayden adapter had larger threads than the OE fitting, but a pair of brass pipe threaded bushings reaolved that issue.
I got lucky yesterday and found a new arrival that had the factory oil cooler lines intact and was able to pull the upper line without twisting the line. Cleaned it up to swap in. I needed that score as this is a time-sensitive repair but I will be revisiting this issue down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20240525_145357.jpg
    IMG_20240525_145357.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240525_201917__01.jpg
    IMG_20240525_201917__01.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 9

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the rad side has the bump with o ring. What is the fitting on the engine side?

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so i have come up with my final solution. i ordered my new radiator from ecp cooling.

I called and asked them to build it with 1/2 npt bungs for the oil cooler side. they said no problem for this model, it was an extra $100 to make the modification
now i will be able to plug in a 1/2npt-AN8 fitting without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to connect oil cooler lines that wont leak.

if you want to do the same, ask for Anthony Bustillos

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here it is. It looks like they just welded 1/2npt bungs over the factory fitting

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here it is. It looks like they just welded 1/2npt bungs over the factory fitting

What size lines are you going to run?

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I’m doing. It took me a while, but I finally found some 18mm x 1.5 o ring by 8an adapters and they fit my new radiator perfectly.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 18 mm fit ? and that's the stock radiator? You didn't say what radiator you have? Their are many sources of 18 mm or smaller. 18 mm male X -10, 18 mm x -6, and so on. .
The magic adapter that's not produced is 20x1.5 mm, male with a dash 8 male. .