speedometer inaccuracy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't recall if the speedometer was inaccurate before I swapped the 4l60 for the 4l80. Does the vss from a 95 4l60 give the same type/speed signal as a 96 4l80? Such as number of pulses per mile? I do know the vss looked different from one trans to the other.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, same pulses per mile. How inaccurate is it, and is it fairly consistent across the range?

You're a 1995 so it's the last year you can easily DIY mod the DRAC to recalibrate the speedometer. A little more work to dig the DRAC out from its hiding spot under the PCM's shelf behind the glovebox, but it's still easy to get to. Little white plastic enclosure a bit smaller than a deck of cards, under the black plastic PCM bracket.

If you have re-geared, or different size tires from stock, you'll need to do this if you want accurate speedo. Pretty easy work if you can do simple electronics soldering, and it's literally just a couple bucks in parts for the DIP switch(es).

Richard

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually have a adjustable buffer. I purchased it because I thought my tires were causing the inaccuracy. I checked my rear gears and my tire size and set it to what I thought was correct and it still came out the same amount of inaccuracy as the stock buffer. I believe it is about 8 mph off at highway speed I don't know if that is constant at town speed.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 k1500 305 4l60e is reading about 5mph more than I'm actually going and it's bothering me. Did it when I bought the truck, and still does it, after just having the trans rebuilt last week. Any help would be appreciated. Afaik everything is stock

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a slightly smaller tire next time?

vort97

Reaction score
Yep, same pulses per mile. How inaccurate is it, and is it fairly consistent across the range?

You're a 1995 so it's the last year you can easily DIY mod the DRAC to recalibrate the speedometer. A little more work to dig the DRAC out from its hiding spot under the PCM's shelf behind the glovebox, but it's still easy to get to. Little white plastic enclosure a bit smaller than a deck of cards, under the black plastic PCM bracket.

If you have re-geared, or different size tires from stock, you'll need to do this if you want accurate speedo. Pretty easy work if you can do simple electronics soldering, and it's literally just a couple bucks in parts for the DIP switch(es).

Richard
Is it much different for a 97??? I have instructions and swich setting chart,, but you just made e wonder,,,,and to begin with,, cant imagine why it would be off by 20 90@ 70.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it much different for a 97??? I have instructions and swich setting chart,, but you just made e wonder,,,,and to begin with,, cant imagine why it would be off by 20 90@ 70.

'96+ don't have a DRAC. As far as I know the speedometer reading is 100% controlled by the PCM in the '96+ trucks. For your '97 you'd need to find someone with JET DST or TunerCAT software to modify the tune.