Speedometer Inaccuracies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a 1998 GMC Sierra and have been having an issue where the speedometer reads higher than my actual speed. For example, when it reads 80 km/h my actual speed is about 63 km/h. The speedometer also becomes less accurate when the speed increases.
Just a few days ago I learned that the instrument cluster had been replaced and is not the original. It's for a v6 Chevy and my truck is a v8.
I was hoping that someone could tell me if it's possible to recalibrate it so that it's accurate, and if it is, how I may be able to do it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's for a v6 Chevy and my truck is a v8.
I was hoping that someone could tell me if it's possible to recalibrate it so that it's accurate, and if it is, how I may be able to do it.
Yes, your PCM can be flashed for different tires and/or gears. Do you have a Tachometer too? I'll bet it reads high ;)

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
Yes, I have a tachometer. I haven't noticed it reading high. My truck is an automatic and I believe it shifts up when the rpms get to around 2000.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
I'll check the tachometer the next time I'm in the truck to make sure. I wasn't paying much attention to it before so I could easily be wrong.

PlayingWithTBI, when you said that you thought the tachometer would read high, did you mean by a set amount or an increasing amount?

Also, thank you for your earlier response. I appreciate the help.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you said that you thought the tachometer would read high, did you mean by a set amount or an increasing amount?
If the dash is from a 6 cylinder engine, it'll read 125% higher since the V8 is firing 4 times/revolution when the V6 is firing 3 times so, the Tach will think it's running faster.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
Sorry it's been so long, I've been a little busy. I couldn't tell if the tachometer was reading high because I don't know what it's supposed to be at and I don't have a tool to measure it.

I've been looking into finding a replacement for the cluster, but haven't found a place with mine in stock. I was wondering if it's possible to program the mileage into the new one once I get it.

TheNewGuy

Reaction score
It just occurred to me to double check that the cluster is indeed the wrong one, as the mechanic that I went to had said. It is the correct one. I got the code for the original cluster from a GM dealer and it matched the code on the current cluster.

My next guess for what is causing the issue is tire size.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They go wrong after a while-I think solution is replacing step motors. Later models did that too.I never bothered with mine-reads way too high. Tire size will do nothing as I learnt-I bought my Tahoe with stupid 20 inch rims and skinnyish tires,thought that was the cause, changed the wheels to just about right size to original,and my speedo got even worse. I started driving with phone speedo(an app or google maps will show you accurate readings) and learnt which speed is where-30 is 35, 40 at 46-47, 50 at 60 and 70 at 83-it goes gradually up. Most cars show wrong readings-usually 5 mph more than real speed. Hence I check the speeds on the maps.
As a bonus-I've had a 94 Stang GT once-and this sucker was showing LESS than real speed. Backstabbing Ford.