spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilspot

Reaction score
So, I posting this to ensure that I look like a cheap ******* here on the forum.

I don't mind forking out for "premium" parts but hate spending money on gimmicks etc.

So on the subject of spark plugs.....

I can get brand name spark plugs for under $2, but then comes the iridium option. Well that's gonna put me up around $8-9 a piece. Is there any true advantange to running iridium plugs on the Vortec motors?

I understand the "you get what you pay for" mentality. Yes, you get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've treated your vehicle to the best. But it that warm feeling have any actual performance backing in this situation?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I don't know where you are buying your plugs at, but I would suggest shopping around. I can buy NGK Iridium plugs for $5.25 a piece, and have purchased them with a rebate that brought the price down to $3.00 a piece

oilspot

Reaction score
I don't know where you are buying your plugs at, but I would suggest shopping around. I can buy NGK Iridium plugs for $5.25 a piece, and have purchased them with a rebate that brought the price down to $3.00 a piece
Thats rough price at all the local parts stores. I'm sure I could probably order them cheaper, but I'm hoping to have the truck running again tomorrow.

Is there any difference in your running the iridium plugs (Other than the aforementioned warm fuzzys)?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The iridium keeps the gap longer and in theory lasts longer.

The gap is detrimental to newer small displacement turbocharged engines or high compression NA engines. But doesnt mean as much to low compression factory stock NA engines.

And I say 'in theory lasts longer' because in older engines any spark plug can still carbon foul just as easy as any other.

For these engines, I would put cheap ones in and replace them every 30-40k miles. Same with plug wires.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Delco RapidFire. They do project out slightly further from the head than other plugs I've used. No prob with stock exhaust manifolds, but they can create fitment probs with some brands of headers.
Smooth idle, no radio interferenca & I've gotten anywhere from about 70-80,000 miles out them.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I don't know what the market is like now, but the Vortec I had was finicky about different brand spark plugs. At one time my father tried Bosch platinums, which caused multiple cylinder misfire codes. Had a similar problem in a '96 Saturn, too. That one ran like crap, but didn't throw a check engine light surprisingly.

We went back to ACDelco in both those vehicles, problems went away immediately. Mind you, this was probably 15 years ago...

If I could advise, keep it ACDelco (any line) and you should have no compatibility issues. Longest I left plugs in was 80,000 miles on a set of ACDelco Platinums. They still fired fine, changed them just because of age and mileage - still looked great.

Just personal opinion - A premium plug is worth the trouble with stock(ish) fuel injected daily drivers. You'll get better service life out of an iridium/platinum plug. :waytogo:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delco 41-993 is my go-to for Vortecs. Tried NGK TR5 or TR55, can't remember which, and had P0300 issues all the time until I went back to the 41-993. They last quite a while, at least 50k miles, and are essentially set and forget, as Schurkey mentioned. They actually do what they claim, so no, it isn't just a warm fuzzy.

If you really want the "cutting edge" factor, you can buy some of the new ruthenium based plugs and let us know how they do.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rule of thumb I learned when I was a technician:
GM - AC Delco
Ford - Autolite or Motorcraft
Chrysler - Champion
Japanese - NGK or Nippondenso
German - Bosch

I can't tell you how many Nissans came into the shop misfiring horribly with Champion Platinum plugs in them. Customers would get pissed at us when we threw those "high dollar" plugs away and put $2 Nippondensos in their place.