Southern Pride's Official Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your putting an LS in it? for molding since you dont have a fiberglass bed use a plastic scraper and laqcuer thinner, it surprisingly doesnt take off paint or scratch it that much. but thats for the left over tape to get the moldings off, pick a warm day and use fishing line and saw it off. youll use alot of line because it likes to snap.

Yeah probably a 5.3 unless I wind up getting another truck to DD I'll go 6.0 and trust me, I know the molding technique. I've done it countless times. Removed the original molding and replaced it with this all black molding from CKresto. The problem is it's not all nice and dandy under there. Lot of paint chips and crap, so if I'm going to do it, I've got a big job ahead of me. Full on painting the rockers from the molding line down (which I did the first time but left the molding) since that way I wouldn't have to blend the paint even though I just rattle canned it with my colormatch paint code stuff from Napa. The molding creates a good separation from the glossy real paint and my rattle can rockers...

I'm thinking this time I may go ahead and rattle can the entire rocker panels again, and just leave them a flat black like they are now. So that way I don't have a normal paint job up top and a newer rattle can paint on the bottom that's semi glossy. Hope that makes sense. My rockers right now are pretty flate and have no gloss so hopefully I can just seperate the paints there at the lowest body line and it not look too bad. It would be just like guys who rhino line their rockers, except without the gritty rhino line.. It would just be smooth flat black. Tell me what you guys think of that. I want to get rid of these moldings sooo bad but paint is the only way around it.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've liked the sig pic of your truck since I first saw it (i'm a noob). Nice to see some of the transformation.

Well done.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i think you could pull it off for a little, but a nice uniform gloss black without molding would look sooo much better, but i know its only temporary the flat portion will just give it a more agressive look instead of a wet paint show truck type look

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
If you want to go with flat black, I would check out this stuff called "plasti-dip". A lot of people on FSC have been posting about it lately. You spray it on heavy, and then you can peel it off in one big piece if you don't like it, and it doesn't harm the paint that's underneath. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it. You could google and youtube it to find out more before deciding, but if it comes off clean, seems like a risk free way to see if you will like the paint pattern.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:hmm: dude very good suggestion... I would have to still deal with the paint chips underneath the molding right?? I couldn't just go spraying it over the chips or they would show up right? Sorry I have no idea about this plasti dip stuff.

I've liked the sig pic of your truck since I first saw it (i'm a noob). Nice to see some of the transformation.

Well done.

Thanks alot bro! Looks like you have a clean slate of cars/trucks there too. Very nice.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The chrome bowtie, is that painted?

Do you mean did I paint it with chrome paint? I didn't even know they had chrome paint! but negative it's a billet stick on I got a loooooonnnggg time ago. Must of been at autozone too.

I can't wait in a couple hours I'm going to get the truck all beamed up with my little toy buffer I bought. I won't be able to truely remove those swirls until I get a DA with some foam pads.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
OK. Yes, they have chrome in a can! Never used it but my grille could use a coat or two.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I would like to find a good one. Seems like all I can find are the old (88-94) flat style but never the 95-98 updated style. Mine has a crack in the passenger side.