Sound system advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The frequency response IS juat as low, maybe a few hertz difference. I believe your mistaking volume for frequency. That large woofer just just moves more air so those lower frequencies are louder. Until you start doing multiple small drivers, then the volume difference is made up. That DD Audio box on the bottom was tuned to 32 Hz and was juat as loud as most pairs of 10s and 12s. I did 2400 watts on those four subs.....

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about frequency response listed by manufacturer. For example, I looked up Skar Audio SVR series, the 8 is listed from 30-350 hz, the 12 shows 22-300, and the 15 is 20-250. Maybe that's meaningless in real life, but it seems to me that the bigger speakers can put out deeper bass. I've always favored larger subs for this reason, is that wrong?

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about frequency response listed by manufacturer. For example, I looked up Skar Audio SVR series, the 8 is listed from 30-350 hz, the 12 shows 22-300, and the 15 is 20-250. Maybe that's meaningless in real life, but it seems to me that the bigger speakers can put out deeper bass. I've always favored larger subs for this reason, is that wrong?
I get why you would think that. What you're seeing there is physical limitations by the manufacturer. A subwoofer is just an air pump, and the lower the note the more physical movement of the woofer. That skar woofer my not have "throw" or xmax to produce that low of a note without destroying itself. Its spider only allows so much in and out movement....

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there's nothing wrong with liking the bigger woofers..... they definitely can handle more abuse, and since most people don't know what distortion is, that's pretty important!!! Haha

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total agreeance on drivers running 3 NOS punch p1 8" in my crewcab and the bass is crisp and very responsive vs 10" or 12" sub systems ive had in the past

The amp on them slightly over powers the sub rms but setup without distortiation keeps them alive lol

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 10 inch image dynamics in a pre fab under the rear seat. It sounds pretty good. I had kicker comps and they hit harder and louder but not as deep. If I had 12s it would not sound as good due to lack of airspace

Billingstitan

Reaction score
For an educated answer, you need to let us know your goal?

Is space a big consideration?

Like, I have two 12” Kickers in my 89 ext k1500 that will bobble your testicles in time w the beat

The box essentially takes up most of the rear floor, and screws up the operation of the rear seat.

But, when I redid the cab of this ‘ol beater, I found it amusing to have a powerhouse stereo in what’s basically a farm truck.

Also, just two of left in the household, so the rear is dedicated to gear and tools, so actually the big box w downfacing woofers works real well for my purposes.

In a pickup, you get a lot of bang for your audio buck, and 12” Kickers are plenty for a surburban, much less a pickup cab.

My recommendation is to visualize how you want to use the space, and go from there.

Sound systems have advanced to the point you can get great sound from almost any configuration if you plan it correctly.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
I’m not a car audio professor lol but have you looked at stealth boxes? So then not to worry about a break in plus you still keep your interior space. But I’d do 2-3 8” subs facing up towards the seat bottom if possible and leave just a 1-2” space for the subs to move or have them recessed in then outer frame could fill space up to seat bottom but still allow subs to do what they do lol? I know they used to make these speakers that you bolted down to the floor and they basically thudded the floor to make you bass. But that’s probably way out dated technically lol. But like other guy said what’s your goal for sound earth shaking or just some extra bump or melody? Melody equates to even set up sound that washes you with the sound of your music or as close to that as limitations of your ride. which is what you get with a real good audio system if you haven’t had that experience yet it’s something you should like being transported into your own movie/video. I’ll draw a drawing so to help better explain if my words are lost on box design after a bit lol.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that with proper planning you will have a better system. I run 1 12" Kicker Comp VR dual voice coil sub on a 6oo watt amp with 4 stock size speakers in the original spots. I went to Kicker's site and got the air space size for the box and made it myself. You lose rear space behind the seat, but it does sound good for what I want. I have a Sony Xplode head unit, but hate it being in the center of the dash. I would go with the retro one, but no CD player, so have to make decision, or find another that will fill that 6"x3.5" hole.